Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dough Weight percentage calculators for recipes from 'Bread'  (Read 3199 times)

Offline Jacqueline

Dough Weight percentage calculators for recipes from 'Bread'
« on: April 17, 2011, 07:00:45 AM »
Hi all,

Recently there's been some discussion about confusion with baker's percentages and general maths for scaling down (or up, if you're feeding an army) from the formulae in 'Bread'. To get around errors in the Home column and the general ambiguities associated with traditional baker's percentage, I calculate everything off the final dough weight given in JH's Metric column. Discussed in detail here:

http://mellowbakers.com/index.php?topic=971.0

Attached are a couple of the excel spreadsheets I've developed using this method. One is for the basic Pain au Levain and the other for the Country Bread. They're designed so that all I have to do is enter the amount of dough I want to end up with (e.g. 1,500g, 500g, 3,000g), and all the other ingredient quantities automatically calculate. They're really pretty simple. Those who have some familiarity with excel can easily work out what I've done by clicking on the cells and checking out the functions- it's all addition and multiplication. Those with no familiarity- here's a chance to play around and learn!

Hope they're useful and please do PM with any questions.

Cheers! Jacqueline

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Re: Dough Weight percentage calculators for recipes from 'Bread'
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 09:42:28 AM »
These are great! Very simple to use and would be easy to base any other recipe on, maybe adding a few extra ingredient rows as needed.

Nice work!

:thumbup:

PS: If someone does use this to make a yeasted bread (vs sourdough) spreadsheet, don't forget that the Metric recipes use fresh cake yeast, you'll want to adjust for Instant Dry Yeast.
Fresh Yeast weight X .33 = Instant Dry yeast weight.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.