Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: I don't have a website or blog. How can I participate?  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
I don't have a website or blog. How can I participate?
« on: February 12, 2012, 07:15:17 PM »
Having the ability to share photos of your bread making process will undoubtedly go a long way to not only show off your successes but also get help when things aren't exactly as expected. As they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words" and being able to see a finished loaf, both the outside and the interior crumb, is really necessary in order to diagnose any oddity one may have encountered.

So if you don't have a website or blog, how do you add pictures of your breads?

This is actually not that difficult. Whenever you add a post as you would when you are ready to tell everyone about your delicious Vermont Sourdough, you will see, below the posting form, a red link for "Attachments and other options". Click this and you'll see, below a few checkbox options, an "Attach" form whith a "Choose file" button. Click this and you'll get to browse through your own computer files to locate you bread photos.

Another MellowBakers.com feature is the MEDIA section of this forum. Lok on the task bar just above any page and you can click the "MEDIA" link where you'll find, available to any registered member, a place to upload your own photos, resize (but not crop) and then link easily in your posts back here. This is completely free and requires little work on your part, other than making the bread and putting digital photos of the effort on your computer.

Do keep in mind there are a couple of limits to how big the photo file can be, both in visual size (best to keep it to 600 x 600 pixels) and actual bytes (250 kb). Some cameras will produce a great huge file perfect for printing and tipping into the MegaBytes size. These may make terrific printed photos but are too big for the web. Be sure to make a copy of this file and get it down to a more reasonable web size, as noted above.

Don't have software on your computer to change or crop your pictures? No worries. Hop over to Picasa, Google's FREE photo editing application.

This will let you fix up your images and even let you upload them to your Google Picasa account. Or save them to your hard drive and use them as Attachments as described above. You could also  upload them to Flickr, another free photo hosting site, this one associated with Yahoo. Flickr requires the photos to be in finished condition, however, and does not offer editing software.

If you have your photos online, with Picasa, Flickr or on your own site or blog, just use the little Mona Lisa icon to get an IMG tag in your post, then fill it with the URL to your image elsewhere.

It will look something like this:

Code: [Select]
[img]http://yumarama.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Punitions.jpg[/img]
and give you this:

If your image is too big (more than 600 pixels wide and will not fit nivcely on this forum) you can just add a width tag like this:

Code: [Select]
[img width=600]http://yumarama.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/FinalFront.jpg[/img]
Note this image, which is actually 800 pixels wide, is reduced on this page to 600 by using  img width=600 in the tag, even though it doesn't actually change the original photo. If you right click the image and show in a new tab, you'll see it in all is 800 pixel wide glory.

What do I do if I want to do a blog?

There are a few options you can look into if you want to start a blog for your baking (or any other topics) that are pretty easy to set up.

Two popular and free blogging services you will want to check out are:

and Google's own

Both these sites allow you to create free blogs and leave the tech stuff to the site's own technical teams. You are, however, at their mercy and some people aren't too keen on the way some giant companies <cough>Google<cough> use their members' info for commercial purposes, selling data to advertisers. Others are just fine with these free services as is. I'll leave that discussion for more web-focussed sites.

If you'd prefer to keep full control of your content, however, you can set up your own website and install the Wordpress blogging software. A site hosting company I recommend is the one which host this very place as well as my other domains:

Click the banner above to get 6 months free hosting when you sign up for 24 months, or 3 month on a 12 month agreement. This includes free domain name registration as well (saving you $9/year)

Once you've got yourself set up on this or your own choice of domain host, you can then download your own blogging software. With MidPhase, it's just a matter of a one-click install through the control panel. If your host doesn't have such a feature, you can grab the same software right from the Wordpress.ORG (not .com) website:

There are other blogging systems but this is one of the most well respected and well designed out there and constantly being upgraded (again, a one-click affair to update).

Why set up a blog (on your own site or on a service like Wordpress.com)? This would let you share much more info on your growing baking interest than the relatively limited info you are looking at posting on this forum. Since we're dealing pretty much with just one book's recipes, most anything else you're playing with in the kitchen would have nowhere to go if you wanted to share it with friends. Although we DO have a section for "Other Breads", having your own space allows you to expand to, perhaps, posting about your knock-'em-dead fettuccine alfredo recipe or your grandkid's latest batch of cookies.

I hope this somewhat detailed post is helpful to some of our members and will allow you to participate a little more fully in this great bread challenge!
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.