Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Before Starter Disaster Strikes  (Read 4343 times)

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
Re: Before Starter Disaster Strikes
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 01:16:31 PM »
This might be a bit esoteric, and certainly off the wall, but here it is anyway. 

As long as you keep your starter going with regular feedings, the higher the likelihood of sister, or 'clone' reproduction keeping the starter of EXACTLY the same animal - down to shared genes.   They just feed, grow, and divide.   During one stage of the ferment cycle, it sounds like they are capable of also reproducing sexually, which means that if you have a healthy and well fed starter, you are going to have cloning most of the time, and a little sexual reproduction once a cycle, just to keep the party going...

Makes for a pretty consistent, if incestuous, party.   :o

Once there is a threat to the beasties' lives, they begin to release spores - which would only be haploid, containing one half of the full gene - and these spores later combine to make 'children' of the  previous generation.  Really close, and resembling the parents, but hardly identical.  Add to that the sheer number of beasties we are talking about and there is a lot of room for variance.

It is amazing that in the end it is the strongest, fittest yeasts that 'weed out' the rest of the possible yeasts and bacteria.  The best illustration that I have heard is that it is like a really green grass lawn - if it is well tended it will choke out the other species.

But then, arguably, some of the best sourdoughs are symbiotic relationships with yeast and lactose friendly bacteria.  I will not make any allegory for this group, and I'll just be pleased with the fine flavor and smile!

Offline Abby

• Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it!
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 07:31:47 PM »
So I dried my starter before we left for our trip and have some living in my freezer . . . We have friends staying with us (leaving tomorrow morning) and they would like to take some starter to maintain. The problem: they have a several-day drive. Will this work? Anything special to do to protect the starter on the drive? Will temperature hurt it?

Any help in the next 12 hours would be greatly appreciated!!  :hmm:

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 07:56:39 PM »
Nope, shouldn't be a problem. If it's kept in the car with the AC on (and I'll bet even if not) it should be fine. I revived some I'd completely lost track of that was sitting on a shelf by a sunny window and above the hot air vent for TWO YEARS and it still came back. I bet a couple of days in room-ish temp won't affect it any.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 08:35:13 AM »
As a rule of thumb I would add that if You could survive there, so could the starter, at least as far as warmth.  Cold temps, well, they can take a lot more cold than we can...

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
DRY YOUR STARTER!
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 11:12:38 AM »
BUMP!!

Do YOU have some of your starter dried and saved yet? It's awfully - nay, ridiculously -  simple to do and gets you "Starter Insurance" with no monthly payments required. No salesman will call and you don't need a physical!

Don't wait until disaster strikes and "wish" you had done it.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Abby

• Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it!
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »
Paul, you saved me! I dried my starter way back in June 2010....thank goodness because I uncovered my starter about 10 days ago and discovered MOLD! Followed your tutorial for reviving the dried stuff, and it's beautiful.

Here's my post: http://mixitbakeit.blogspot.com/2012/04/austin-lives-resuscitating-sourdough.html