Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: sgratch's Naan bread recipe  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
sgratch's Naan bread recipe
« on: March 22, 2011, 02:56:04 PM »
Mellow Member sgratch (Geraint) posted this recipe for naan bread as part of the discussion of his Aloo Paratha but I figured it would be a good thing to give it it's own thread here in the Recipes section.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between paratha & roti/chapati is brushing with ghee or oil during cooking (although sometimes roti/chapati are brushed with oil AFTER cooking). Confusing. I think roti/chapati are also traditionally cooked in a tandoor? But then maybe all Indian flatbreads are? And the difference with naan is the leavening.

I made the following naan recipe last year, not sure where I got the recipe or if I made it up based on reading around (most recipes seem to be leavened with baking powder):
20g fresh yeast
240g hot water
160g cold milk
80g yoghurt
15g salt
800g plain flour
20g kalonji/onion seed
8 garlic cloves sliced

mix liquids, dissolve yeast, add to flour, add salt, add seeds, mix
rest 15 mins, fold, cover
after 15 mins, add garlic cloves and fold in (not sure why I added the garlic later)
after 30 mins, fold
after 30 mins, scale c80-100g, preshape round
after 15 mins roll out
Preheat oven to max 250-260c with cast iron pan or kiln shelf
Place rolled out naan into pan or onto shelf for c5mins, turning half way (got browner results in cast iron pan, bit pale off kiln shelf).
Maybe you can cook on a cast iron pan or griddle on the hob too.

Please add your comments and questions about Naan bread here.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 09:01:00 AM by Paul »
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline sgratch

• GeraintBakesBread
Re: sgratch's Naan bread recipe
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:43:21 AM »
I've recently tried two sourdough variations of the above recipe with mixed results (they weren't very naan-like).

Tonight I'm trying a reduced amount of the above recipe, but with dry yeast.

I'll post about all 3 attempts soon.

In the meantime, two more naan recipes for the collection (from a reliable source):
http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=10108
http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=13295

I think her suggestion of cooking them on a hot pan is good, although my first sourdough attempt stuck & burned on my cast iron pan (I think the dough was too wet, & much too thick). I find my anodised pan much better (such as I used for my aloo paratha). I tried cooking some of my second attempt on a kiln shelf in a hot oven, and although they puffed a bit, they didn't really colour, so I cooked the rest in the pan.

Offline sgratch

• GeraintBakesBread
Re: sgratch's Naan bread recipe
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 02:02:24 PM »
Last night's attempt at naan, based on my recipe above, went very well. Sadly I didn't get any photos as I couldn't find the camera as dinner was served.

I'm trying out a new dried yeast, as I recently discovered the one I was using contained the additive sorbitan monostearate and I prefer to use no additives in my baking. However, whereas I could just add the old one to the flour, the new one needs activating.

So my revised recipe was as follows:

Sponge (mixed the following ingredients):
1/2tsp (2g) dry yeast
60g hot water
40g cold milk
20g natural yoghurt
1tsp/6g sugar
25g strong white flour

It was about 40mins later that I got around to mixing the dough & the sponge was very frothy & had expanded but not collapsed (at least I don't think it had!).

Dough:
100g strong white flour
75g plain flour
1/2tsp (5g) salt
1tsp (5g) kalonji/onion seed
sponge from above

I kneaded for 10mins, rested for 45mins, divided in 4 and preshaped round.

15mins later I rolled into thin ovals (like pitta).

I baked them on a preheated anodised (non-stick) pan for a minute each side, then flipped them onto the naked flame so they puffed up & charred a bit. I wrapped the cooked ones in a tea-towel until they were all cooked.