Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Promoting The Group  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Promoting The Group
« on: March 28, 2010, 03:35:22 PM »
As some of you know, several of the people in this Group are coming away from (or are nearing the end of) their Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge. It would be great if people, as they're rounding the corner, were informed that this is one of a few great "next projects". But for many to become aware that this Mellow challenge exists, we need to get the word out. Not everyone who'd enjoy this group is necessarily a BBAC member, hops onto the BBA Google group, uses Twitter or haunts TheFreshLoaf.

So the purpose of this thread is to come up with ways we can get the word out there.

Now one excellent way is for anyone with a site or blog to pop a Mellow Bakers badge on their site and occasionally talk it up in their posts. Now I'm not recommending anyone be a "used car salesman" about it, but when it seems appropriate, a mention that you've joined up and what we aim to do would go a huge way in perking people's interest and simply getting the word out there.

So again, I'm going to put it out there for the Group to come up with possible ideas for promoting Mellow Bakers, in thoughtful, not too "in your face" ways. Since there's not promo budget, we can't really take out ad space or that sort of thing so we're a little limited on avenues but if we all put our thinking caps on, we might well come up with a few clever ways of passing the idea around that we exist, we have a goal that not only will result in (I expect) great bread but also give people a little prod to try recipes they might have shied away from and hopefully expand their comfort zone to new and interesting techniques.

I therefor turn the floor over to you fine folks to toss out ideas. None are "too far off" as we're just looking for the idea kernels here, we can expand or modify potential ways to go later on. But for now, let's just toss these unpolished potentials into the ring and see what we can get together.

For example, is there some way to drop the bug into people's ears over on the King Arthur site? I'll admit I don't frequent that space personally since it's a USA only sort of deal, so it's not been an obvious resource for me so I have no idea what could work to get people there interested. But for those of you who are familiar with the space, are there possible ways of getting the word out over there?

What other bread bakers' space would be good to check out to pass the word out we have a cool little Mellow Bakers' group starting up?

So, your turn: what might be a cool way to let people who don't know this group exists to become aware and hopefully want to join in?
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
Re: Promoting The Group
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 01:48:14 AM »
I have several ideas in mind:
1) People could review the Hamelman book on Amazon and could mention the Mellow Bakers in the review.
2) When commenting on random people's bread posts, we could mention the group, too (that's what I did some days ago which resulted in 1 new member - Hi, Anamaris -   :woot:)
3) I'm not familiar with the site "The Fresh Loaf" but I know there are discussions about everything related on bread - someone could start a discussion about the Mellow Bakers there. Oh, I just realized it's mentioned there already...
4) Living in Germany, King Arthur's Flour is not a resource for me, but people who buy their things there could review the products and mention the group in the reviews, I think.
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline breadexperience

• I love to bake and eat bread!
    • The Bread Experience
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 07:50:21 AM »
Social media is a good way to promote the group.  I've mentioned it on Facebook and Twitter and will continue to do so.

I'll also be sending out my newsletter next week so I'll definitely make mention of this group in the newsletter.

I'll continue to look for other ways to promote it.

Offline paulo

• On Board
    • Zine de Pão
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 07:12:20 AM »
Howdy,

Is there any official badge for the group then? Would like to post it in my blog.

/Paulo
My bread baking blog (in Portuguese, but google can help you!): Zine de Pão

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:36:26 PM »
Why, yes there is!  pompom

Code: [Select]
http://mellowbakers.com/MBpics/MBLogoBar-160x57.png
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.