Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nothing in particular..  (Read 1125 times)

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
Nothing in particular..
« on: October 31, 2010, 01:02:02 PM »
I was just thinking about it coming up to winter and wondering what you all do in the autumn, do you bake more, start planning your Christmas baking, try out new recipes on the quiet, that sort of thing?

I am definitely more interested in baking now it's getting darker and cooler here in the northern hemisphere. But then there are Mellow Bakers all over the world, in Australia it must be late Spring/early Summer and swinging into al fresco dining!  There always seems to be less time to do everything at this time of year too...  So this is a roundabout way of saying, I would love to hear what you are all baking or thinking about baking,  even if it's not the Breads of the month, there is room on this part of the forum for other Mellow chat.   :D

Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Abby

• Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it!
Re: Nothing in particular..
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 06:59:02 PM »
Hi, Joanna!
I am definitely at war with myself at this time of the year. It's getting cold and dark and all I want to do is stay in my house and bake. But it's so busy at school, so much to plan and do...and I end up doing much less baking. Still, sometimes we compromise: this weekend, we spent Saturday out and about (apple orchard, pumpkin festival) and then spent Sunday in the kitchen! Didn't make the pretzels, though...still feeling un-mellowy guilty about missing a bread in its assigned month.  :weep:

Offline Jacqueline

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 09:07:25 PM »
We are definitely heading into al fresco dining territory now- it's that leg-shaving, sandal-wearing time of the year again. Trying not to think of the months and months of heat ahead...

So we have an interesting mental and cultural division at this time of year! Northern European (esp British) cultural practices surrounding Christmas and festive foods dominate, alongside more recent native traditions that are suited to the climate. So it's pretty common, for instance, for Christmas lunch to be a seafood spread, but followed by steaming plum pudding. And the foodie mags feature both: you'll see features on how to make the perfect roast turkey, followed by recipes on how to pack the leftovers for a picnic at the beach.

Despite the heat, I definitely look forward to the baking this time of year. I love making lots and lots of Christmas-shaped biscuits (like they do in Germany), and I'm still working on mince pies that look like the ones in the shops...and have actually have already made a Christmas cake. The major challenge with any butter-related pursuit is keeping things cool. For biscuits, I chill the pastry, then put the cut-out shapes on sheets of baking paper, and stack them cut-out in the fridge for another hour before before baking. Seem to hold their shape a little better at least.

Other heat-related challenges are mould (if you hang your pudding-in-a-cloth, it sometimes gets mildew), melting (all chocolate must be in fridge), and weevils (in brissie my mum has to keep all grains- rice, flour etc- in the fridge or there are moths everywhere).

But I wouldn't have it any other way! It's great to be able to sit outside in the warm night and sing carols, and I love the blue blue sky and bright colours of Christmas morning, with the cicadas singing.

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 04:59:25 AM »
I'd love a bit of Southern hemisphere sunshine right now Jacqueline! It's raining away outside and it gets dark so early too.  We ate our second Christmas pudding at mid summer so that is something we have in common!  I'm just thinking about whether to slip the remaining pumpkin puree from the pie I made into a bread, gnocchi, some sort of bao bun maybe?  It probably won't happen.  Abby I'm going to make some different dough and make pretzel shapes and hope I'm forgiven here - then I will feel as if I have had a go  :snicker: 
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes