Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jacqueline's country bread  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Jacqueline

Jacqueline's country bread
« on: October 30, 2010, 06:48:22 AM »
Hello everyone- this is my first monthly bread here, so hello! I have been loving reading all your posts from the last few months and I'm looking forward to the breads over the next few months.

I guess I'm jumping the gun a bit since it's not quite November yet but…it's the weekend, and I was meant to be marking undergraduate essays, so making bread became VERY IMPORTANT all of sudden :)

I scaled down the quantities in the metric column by .03938 to give me 1600g of dough (800g in each of my cane baskets). Mixed the preferment/pate fermentee 9pm Friday night, using fresh yeast, with a good dash extra water to make it mixable. I often have to do this- maybe it's Australian wheat.

By the time I dragged myself out of bed at 7am Saturday morning, the preferment seemed ready to go (it'd had 9 hours) so I mixed up the dough.

Bulk ferment was 2.25 hours, folded after the first and second 50 minutes. to note- lots of airy poppy bubbles in the dough. It was about 22C max today, so it wasn't particularly warm, but I felt the dough was moving really fast. Probably this is because 90% of the time I make sourdough…

Shaped at 800g each, final prove 1.25 hours, room temp around 20C.  Was worried that this was too long, but on baking I got some explosions so could have had another 30 mins I think. Steam- was planned but my housemate broke the oven door recently so we can't open it all the way, makes pouring jug of boiling water bit difficult. Thus used handful icecubes and sprayer only.

So, the result! The flavour- well, it's not setting my world alight, but it's got something. A round flavour, not in the least sour, sort of clean and buttery without actually containing any fat at all. The crust is thin and crisp (not leathery) and the crumb is light and even, quite delicate really. What it reminds me of most are the fresh breads my mum would buy on a Saturday morning from the local totally-non-sourdough, totally-run-of-the-mill suburban bakery franchise…in the best possible way  :azn:

Offline Anne Marie

Re: Jacqueline's country bread
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 05:11:22 PM »
Jacqueline,

It looks tasty.  I am always impressed by how different all of our flours are.

Anne Marie

Offline Abby

• Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 06:05:50 PM »
It does look yummy! I'm looking forward to this one . . . sounds like a good soup-accompanier.  :D

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 08:58:44 AM »
Looks great Jacqueline!  :dance:

The great thing about even simple yeasted breads like these is that you know exactly what went into it and have control over the process, so even if they don't knock your socks off, they make you feel happy.
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline breadexperience

• I love to bake and eat bread!
    • The Bread Experience
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 09:37:24 AM »
Your loaf looks delicious!  I thought the flavor was lacking a bit on this one, but your version looks really good. I don't blame you for choosing baking bread over grading essays.   :)

Offline Natashya KitchenPuppies

• Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 10:44:05 AM »
Very pretty, great crumb!  pompom

Offline Lien

• Notitie van Lien (Lien's notes)
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 02:38:24 AM »
Wonderful loaves!