Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: the left handed vs right handed thing...  (Read 2394 times)

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
the left handed vs right handed thing...
« on: September 20, 2010, 09:57:57 AM »
Hi Trish

Saw your comment on Celia's post about being left handed and wanted to say you are not alone  :D  There is something about following instructions and diagrams, you are so right, that is almost invisible to the right handed world that us lefties battle with all the time, tools are set up right handed, knives and scissors, I bought a cheese grater once which had angled the cutters for a right handed person to use which took me an age to figure out why it didn't work. Sometimes I stand over my loaf with my lame or razor blade in hand, and think which way, then I swap hands, then I swap back again..  I hadn't thought about the braiding from that point of view, so it's great to hear from someone else on the subject :)
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Trishinomaha

• On Board
Re: the left handed vs right handed thing...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 06:57:26 PM »
Great to hear from another "lefty" and to know I'm not the only dyslexic person out there :laugh:. I am old enough that when I went to what we call Jr. High School here in the US girls were REQUIRED to take a semester of cooking (aced that one!) and sewing - not so much...   :wot?:. Clothing patterns are most definitely for right handed people. My mother was an amazing seamstress - another good reason not to get too excited about sewing. After about the third zipper I put in where the flap was going the wrong way - the teacher and my mother gave up on me - HA. I think the teacher passed me in sewing out of pity. But you are most certainly right - it's a right-handed world. 
Trish
"Trishinomaha"
"If you're afraid of butter, just use cream." -- Julia Child

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 12:59:46 AM »
This is not bread-related at all, but I want to contribute something here, too... 2 of my 3 kids are left-handed, and I have NO idea where this comes from because nobody in the family is a lefty. Sometimes it is really hard for me to understand why something doesn't work for my kids. Like, when my oldest daughter (now 7) was 5 we tried to teach her how to tie her shoelaces. I was about to become a nervous wreck because it just wouldn't work. She couldn't figure out how to do it. Then, totally randomly, I heard on some radio show that when you try to teach a lefty how to tie shoelaces, you should sit opposite of one another and not side by side. Et voilĂ : it worked!!! Or, when she started school: the letters in her workbook are always on the left side, so the kids see what they have to write. I was wondering why my kid's workbook looked so chaotic, and some time later I finally realized, that my kid couldn't see what she had to write because her hand was ON the example, so she always had to move her hand up, look, and move her hand down again. This world is sooooooo not prepared for lefties. And it is so annoying that for me as a righty I have to learn the hard way what doesn't work and that there are no "manuals" for the everyday life of a lefty...
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 03:26:53 AM »
No nothing to do with baking, but we can pretend... anyway this is general yakking so I am sure we are allowed....

Ditto on the sewing front, Trish!  (Lets not mention knitting, or embroidery, I so know about cutting out patterns, but it's the scissors too don't forget that.)   My favourite example of incompatibility is when you fold sheets with someone who is right handed, there is always an argument about which way you go, positioning yourself in restaurants so you don't knock someone else's elbow... oh we suffer  rofl

Window latches, keys, buttons, tapemeasures and rulers,  all sorts of things are right hand orientated in design and function.  Did you know if you are left handed you can't use a chain saw, they are all set up for right handed people and many other power tools. Not that I particularly want to use a chain saw. :whistle:

Andrea, maybe we should write the' how to help your left handed kids' book? Is there really nothing out there on the internet already? Writing is so hard to manage when you are left handed, icing cakes mindblowingly difficult.  Does your kid sit at an angle when she writes, or turn her book, that's the easiest thing to do, otherwise you have to hold your hand sort of over and wrapped round the pen in a curve.  When I was at school they made you sit straight and have your paper straight, until I pointed out that I couldn't write like that. I won, but it was a battle.

But to bread...next time you slash a loaf, try swapping hands and see if it makes a difference, without cutting your fingers of course.... 
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 04:21:16 AM »
Joanna, oh, there are things on the internet, but they are more general like: how to write (turn your book), and how to allow your kid to hold the fork in the right hand and the knife in the left hand (this is a battle I still have to win over my husband because he says they should learn the RIGHT way, and I say it screws up their brains) and to put the glass on the left and not the right, and how they should sit at school (lefty on the left side so there won't be any complications with the righty sitting next to you... But what is hard to find is a guide for people that are complete righties and have left-handed kids: a list with all situations that might be complicated for the kid. Because I have NO idea what is different for lefties. And there might be situations where I overburden my kids because I can't understand why they are having trouble with certain things - maybe it's due to their left-handedness. Like, why would a ruler be a problem??????

Anyway, I'm going to write down everything you guys wrote so I keep those situations in mind once my kids have to master them  ;).

Glad to know 2 of my kids won't run amok with a chain saw!  :o
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline Trishinomaha

• On Board
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 06:37:40 AM »
Interestingly enough, my sister (the school psychologist) was shopping for school supplies for her son earlier this year. She found a spiral bound notebook - the kind we've all always used in schools forever but the neat thing was that the spiral was on the RIGHT side of the notebook not the left which would make it so much easier for a lefty to take notes. I have learned to do some things right handed- playing golf for example but otherwise I'm pretty much totally a lefty. Those of you with lefty children take heart current "wisdom" has it that the lefties among us are more creative and thoughtful than righties  :laugh:. My sewing teacher used to put me in front of a mirror so that I could see the opposite image - not that it helped much - plus who likes being singled out in the 7th grade :soWrong:
Trish
"Trishinomaha"
"If you're afraid of butter, just use cream." -- Julia Child

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 08:23:18 AM »
Andrea I don't know if this might be any good? I bought things from the shop when it was a shop, variable quality, as I recall, but the book looks like it could have some useful stuff?

Oh and the tape measure, ruler thing? Well the numbers go from left to right, fine if you are just using it to measure, but if you want to use it to rule a line and measure off along it  i.e. run a pencil along it, it is going in the wrong direction. It's not impossible, just awkward for the leftie, like so many things. Trust me! Ask your kids  :D

http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk/children/your-left-handed-child.html

Trish, of course golf  :doh:  that one never crossed my mind. I would love a left handed notebook, I used to have a left handed checkbook, with the stubs on the other side, but they stopped doing those  :'(
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 10:30:43 AM »
Wow, the book sounds cool. Thanks Joanna!!! It never occured to me that musical instruments might be a problem, but now that I think about it, sure it is! OMG, my daughter just started music school (15 weeks of trying different instruments), so I think I should talk to the teachers there.
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 10:34:33 AM »
Oh, even better, this book has been translated to German... Not that reading English books is a problem for me, but it's easier to give a German book to a teacher or friend or neighbor if they want some information.
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline Natashya KitchenPuppies

• Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 12:50:55 PM »
I'm a lefty too! The funny thing is, I married another lefty (Charles, he is my second husband). He is old enough to have been punished in school for his left-handedness and thus has been taught to function also with his right. Of my 3 children, one is left-handed. (And of the three, he is the only one with learning difficulties - so the left-handedness was just another stumbling block for him - took him ages to learn to tie his laces. Thank goodness for velcro!)
I remember sewing and cooking in middle school, but didn't put it together til now that that was why I had so much trouble with that machine!
The mouses, mice, in the public libraries are all attached to the right of the computers - a big pain. But otherwise I have adapted okay. I can't use my right for anything but grunt work, so I just use the lame with my left in whatever direction is comfortable for me.

I had a friend Jimmy (much older, now gone) who was in Catholic school and was beaten so badly by the nuns for being "closer to the devil" i.e.: left-handed, that he never really got over it.
At least they don't harass the children for it anymore - although us lefties do live a life 7 years shorter than righties, statistically. We are the last undefended minority. Maybe we are too laid-back to start a movement..

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 10:39:49 AM »
Hope the book is useful Andrea, do let us know what you think of it   :)  As to musical instruments, I learnt various ones all right handed but lots of guitarists string their guitars the other way round and play them the other way, Paul McCartney does I'm sure. I have heard of children having their left hands tied behind their backs and forced to write with their right hands, and worse, but things have changed. There are a lot of left handed star tennis players out there, it seems to give them an edge :)  I eat fork left, knife right, but don't a lot of Americans cut their food like that, put their knife down and then swap to eat with their fork in the right hand. If you're a leftie, then you just don't swap. The hand that puts the food in the mouth should have the fork in it I reckon or the spoon come to that. So when I have to eat with a fork and spoon, I am almost paralysed as I want to put them both in my left hand. And I am not young either, should have worked something out by now  :snicker:
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 02:06:27 AM »
Joanna, the book is on the way. Really looking forward to reading it! As for the fork and knife problem: we are German, and Germans don't put their knife down after cutting the food. Here it's considered to be really rude to just eat with your fork (like Americans do). When my hubby complains about the kids eating the "wrong" way, I always tell him to try to eat like a lefty would eat and then decide if it feels weird. For me, it definitely feels very weird to have the spoon in my left hand - I wouldn't survive, I guess, because I wouldn't be able to put enough food into my mouth.
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline Abby

• Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it!
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 05:45:36 PM »
I have been secretly following this conversation  :whistle: but haven't commented, since I am not a lefty. As for the kids: the baby girl has been right handed from the second she was born, but the 3 1/2 year old still does things equally left-handed and right-handed. We're still waiting to see which way he goes. Hubby is an avid baseball fan and hoping for a lefty pitcher.

Anyway, the point: I was watching a student try to take notes in his notebook while holding his novel open in class today ~ he was really struggling ~ noticed he was a lefty ~ and thought of you all!  :D

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 05:28:07 AM »
When my hubby complains about the kids eating the "wrong" way, I always tell him to try to eat like a lefty would eat and then decide if it feels weird.

You should perhaps instigate a "Lefty Only Week" at your house. Set everything you can backwards - cutlery and glasses on the "wrong" side - and insist everyone use them that way for a week. When hubby goes to use the fork in his right hand, he gets reprimanded. Make sure you serve peas and such - things you can't just stab with the fork - that will be fun to watch while working the other hand. Not only should it show how difficult it is to live in an opposite-handed world but hopefully also let him see that "the Right way" is completely an artificial rule, just like "left hand only" is,  and doesn't need to be followed.

I'll bet you can find websites where people have done that already to see how best to set it up for maximum effect and clearest message.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 01:52:32 AM »
Thanks, Paul, that's a cool idea!
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food