Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Five grain for breakfast  (Read 1308 times)

Offline lello

Five grain for breakfast
« on: September 06, 2010, 02:39:38 PM »
I baked this bread a week ago, together with the caraway bread, but in this period I have no time for a real post on my blog. So I decided to post just a picture a my impressions.

Five grain bread!
Five grain bread!

The taste is really something special, toasted and nutty, and tomorrow I will bake the sourdough version, sorry, but can't wait :)
Amazing keeping qualities considering that it is a straight dough,  the seeds really retard the staling.

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
Re: Five grain for breakfast
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 11:12:25 AM »
I think it's the sunflower seeds that give these breads that je ne sais quoi of toasty nuttiness, what do you think?  I am in love with the paté fermentée version on Page 129.  Can't wait to hear how you get on with the levain one Lello  :thumbup:
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline lello

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 01:24:51 PM »
 :hmm: ...sunflower seeds?...I used flaxseed for this one, but that with sourdough has sunflower seeds...

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 06:24:58 AM »
Oh, sorry Lello, I am getting my 5 grains in a muddle here, because I baked the wrong one to start with, and that has sunflower seeds, I guess the one I should have baked, which is the one you made here doesn't? 

... Ignore me while I go and bury my head in a pile of seeds. :doh:
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline lello

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:20:12 AM »
Well, same here, Yesterday I started baking the Five Grain with sourdough, but I didn't realize that it was different from the other one, and I didn't have sunflower seeds...we should suggest Hamelman to change the titles of the two breads :)

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 02:26:22 PM »
I looked at them really closely today. The pate fermentee one and the sourdough one have the same seeds in them but the flours are different and the one we were supposed to make is more different again. Three breads with similar names. They need new names, you are so right  pompom
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes