Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Have an opinion on "Bread Baking" by Lou Seibert Pappas?  (Read 1464 times)

Offline FlourChild

• On Board
    • Flour Child Baking
Have an opinion on "Bread Baking" by Lou Seibert Pappas?
« on: August 04, 2010, 08:29:35 AM »
If you do, I would like to hear about it. This and the Tassajara bread book are the only books about bread we own, and while I would like to get BREAD, well, students don't have much money, and cookbooks are expensive.
I have used Tassajara before, and I know it is great--for hippie bread--but I wanted something more versatile. Bread Baking seems to have a lot of recipes, but I was wondering if anyone knew if the recipes are actually any good.
So, anyone have an opinion? Should I duck and cover? Scrape together quarters to buy another bread book? Or will I be alright with this one?
(Then again, this book came out in the 70s. The only reason my dad bought it is because it looks like a slice of bread. It would make sense that no one has used it.)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 05:34:16 AM by Paul »

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
Re: Have an opinion on "Bread Baking" by Lou Seibert Pappas?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:50:08 AM »
FC, if it came out in the 70's, it is time for a new book. 

You will not regret buying 'Bread', but you can also probably get it in a library. 

By the way, you can find some recipes like this one, on line, by doing a Google search:  http://traditionalbakingandcooking.wordpress.com/2009/08/19/jeffrey-hamelmans-light-rye-bread/     ...but that will not get you all the info that comes with the recipes - and there is a lot.

There are also similar recipes posted: http://yumarama.com/blog/1432/sour-rye-with-caraway-from-the-back-home-bakery/

like this one from Paul's blog, and you can also get techniques there as well, like this gem that was not around in the 70's: 

http://yumarama.com/blog/17/stretch_and_fold/

In the end, I can only tell you that it was worth every penny, and trust me, I am pinching right now as well!  Good Luck!   ;D

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 05:35:05 AM by Paul »

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Re: Have an opinion on "Bread Baking" by Lou Seibert Pappas?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 01:51:17 PM »
Also, the chance is pretty slim that bread books from the 70's would be weighing their ingredients which is a pretty standard thing to do with bread these days. Likely they'll use cups, not a terribly accurate measuring system.

Now before you go out and spend your food money on a book, you can try and find recipes "based on Hamelman's" - there are at least two sites that revamp slightly a few of the Hamelman recipes and post their version:

wildyeastblog.com and breadcetera.com

In their respective Search boxes, type "Book of Techniques", a part of the full title of the Bread book, "Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes" and you'll see numerous posts and recipes they revamped based on those from this book. Until you've got enough nickels saved up to get the book (and still afford flour, etc.) these will help fill in a few of the gaps.

There are very likely a lot of other bread sites and blogs that do pay homage to these recipes and rework them. Google will help you find them.

If you (and anyone else, for that matter) do happen to find reworked versions of the Hamelman recipes on these or other web sites and you don't see that version mentioned in the Overview page for each recipe, previous current or in the future, you're decidedly welcome to add a post directing people to the recipe in question, noting "those without the book can find a reworked version of recipe XX here..." to help out those who'd like to give that one a try but aren't ready to get the whole book.

Now all that aside, the Hamelman book is MUCH more than just a bunch of good recipes, it's an education in bread. There's 100 pages right off the bat that have no recipes at all, just info on breads, ingredients, processes, etc.. We don't get into much of that here since it's a bit academic but it's important stuff to have as background and will make your bread adventure more understandable and successful when you know why stuff happens. This alone is well worth getting the book.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 05:35:20 AM by Paul »
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.