Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: BREAD by Jeffrey Hamelman, our main resource  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
BREAD by Jeffrey Hamelman, our main resource
« on: March 21, 2010, 12:20:21 PM »

Bread: A Baker's Book of Techniques and Recipes
by Jeffrey Hamelman,
Director of the Bakery and Baking Education Center, King Arthur Flour

Get it from:
Amazon USA
Amazon UK
Amazon Canada
Amazon Germany

This highly praised book will be the Mellow Bakers' primary resource for recipes and really should be on any serious bread baker's bookshelf, whether hobbyist or professional.

Packed with over 85 bread formulas offered in both bakery and home baker's sizes as well as using weights throughout (hooray!), it's most useful feature is that it has so much detailed information on the why's of bread making and isn't focussed simply on the recipes. It does offer a fair bit of technical information which for a novice may seem daunting. For those in that category, a book such as Peter Reinhart's Bread baker's Apprentice may be a better choice for your first steps as it has more focus on drawing you into bread making with simpler basics and lots of photos. BREAD, on the other hand, has only eight pages of photos in it's 400 pages. But don't let that deter you, there are illustrations showing techniques throughout.

Mostly though, this book will gently guide new serious bakers into the world of baking by explaining what's happening in the dough throughout the process, discussing aspects of flour and other ingredients, the baking process and more. This book teaches much more than simply to follow it's recipes, it teaches you why bread does what it does. And in order to master your bread, you need to know what's going on in the dough throughout the process. This book will help you to do that.

And make awesome breads while you're at it.

Will it make you a pro baker? No, probably not by itself without access to a pro kitchen and taking a real live course would be a huge asset too. But it will make the enthusiastic home baker more knowledgeable if you tackle the book wisely. Jumping into the academic stuff full force may make you feel overwhelmed as a hobbyist so just pick your formulas and learn as you go. Slowly expand your knowledge and eventually you'll have much wisdom in the art of bread baking. It is, however, hugely recommended that you do read through those first 100 pages of the book, at some point. This is where the "Baking School" in your own hand resides.

Your breads will be better because you'll be developing a good grasp of the "why" and better bread means happy friends and family.

Decidedly a "must have" book for those who want more than just recipes.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:11:50 PM by Paul »
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline difrei

• On Board
    • Di's Kitchen Notebook
Re: BREAD by Jeffrey Hamelman, our main resource
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 05:14:59 PM »
Still working my way through reading the sections at the front of the book.  I have to say that for me, this book was worth buying just for the shaping instructions.  They are very clear and easy to follow with the illustrations.  I'm making the BBA Italian bread again today, and made the best-looking batard I've ever done by following these instructions.  I can't wait to get to the rest of the book to see what I'll learn.

--Di

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
Re: BREAD by Jeffrey Hamelman, our main resource
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 02:16:47 AM »
Hi Paul,
you can also add Amazon Germany to your where to get the book list.
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food