Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hybrid sourdough made with onions and bay leaf infused milk  (Read 2004 times)

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
Onion and Bay bread - from a Dan Lepard recipe. Another way to get onion flavour in the bread is to boil the chopped onions in milk and bay leaf if you like that taste. Then drain and use the milk for the liquid in the dough and add the onions as an ingredient. 
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Oggi

Re: Hybrid sourdough made with onions and bay leaf infused milk
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 02:42:26 PM »
That's pretty. :thumbup:

I'm making wild rice and onion bread tonight to be baked tomorrow and will use milk instead of water. Thanks for the idea. :)

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 12:01:17 PM »
If you bring the milk to the boil with the onions in it and then let it cool down and stand for about half an hour that should do the trick. I like breads made with milk, but you need to boil the milk to denature the proteins, and then you get a softer bread (or use UHT milk).

Your wild rice/onion combo sounds wonderful  ;D
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 12:06:52 PM »
Hmmm.  I was told once that the reason to heat the milk was to get rid of the "glutathione" - a substance that weakens gluten - but that you really should not boil it, just get it up to 180 F for a few seconds.  Not sure why boiling would hurt it, though.  I will see if I can find out more.
 :hmm:

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 12:13:29 PM »
Well, Duh!  Not sure what I was thinking.  The extra heat must help get the flavor from the onions.

Now that I have completely derailed this thread, just ignore my comments!

Unless...

Unless you are really, really bored.

Then you can spend a week on this thread for 'why to scald milk'.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/12076/why-milk-powder-milk-bread-and-not-just-milk

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 02:03:37 PM »
 :)  I think you are right Steve, and I shouldn't be sloppy and say boil the milk.  I should have said scald the milk, which I think is what you mean?  Not boil. Quite right. Bring milk up to almost boil and then leave to cool and onions to infuse etc etc.  And acc that thread you reference on the Fresh loaf, glutathione is an enzyme or protein fragment - so we're both right yay! :D

Hey if you want the recipe for this bread it's in the Handmade Loaf and you can find variations on it in a bake off thread here, including the one that Dan made for the bakeoff...
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
Thanks, J! ;D

Oggi

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 03:15:14 PM »
Joanna, I did scald the milk together with the onions. The dough spent a night in the refrigerator and I baked the loaves a few hours ago. This is a recipe from Reinhart's new book ARTISAN BREADS EVERY DAY. I recently started baking my way through this book because I already tested more than a third of the recipes before it was published, 2/3 more to go. :)

The bread is weirdly sweet and onion-y and has a tight and nutty but very tender crumb. I love it. :yumm:

I wanted to borrow DL's book from the library, unfortunately they don't stock it. Thanks for the link, I bookmarked it and will read it later.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 05:56:41 PM by Oggi »

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 04:38:05 PM »
That's the one with the wild rice and the onions ? It looks really delicious and full of interesting textures, rice is one of many things I haven't tried in bread yet. I wonder why your bread came out sweet, what else was in it?
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Oggi

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 07:11:55 AM »
Joanna, the 6-cup flour recipe has a quarter cup of brown sugar which I thought was not too much. I think the extra sweetness comes from the very sweet Vidalia onions. I like the bread though specially with salty ham.