Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Grain Mills  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Natashya KitchenPuppies

• Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
Grain Mills
« on: July 08, 2010, 12:32:55 PM »
I was intrigued when someone brought up milling grain at home.  :hmm:
Hopefully we can share some ideas and experiences here on home milling in small and large scale as well as the gadgets tried.
I don't have any mills, I have seen a little one for small handfuls of grain I guess as an accent in bread, and have seen the nutri-mill online in a Canadian store, but have never tried anything at home.

What have your experiences been? Or what gadgets are you coveting?

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
Re: Grain Mills
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 03:28:42 PM »
My only real experience is a 'Black Diamond' grist mill that stood about a meter tall.  It was driven by a flat belt, which was in turn powered by a one-cylinder John Deere engine.  My parents tried this back in the 1960's.  My most vivid memories were: 1) hating the resulting gritty flour, and 2) the engine backfiring flames!

We ground a lot of flour pretty quickly, though.

At present, I have a little hand grinder that I bought on craigslist for $20, and my sister Demeter has an expensive hand mill of some type that I plan on powering with a motor.  (Once I get her blessing)

I used to have to hand crank a butter churn as a kid; so I am not too big on hand cranking anymore!

Offline Abby

• Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 08:05:51 PM »
Natashya, thanks so much for starting this topic - what a great idea!  pompom

I have been wishing for a grain mill for a while now (since reading about Andrea grinding her own grains during the BBAC, I think!). One of my mom's customers at the library who is a big bread baker recommended the . . . Wondermill, I believe. She said it totally changed her baking. But it's a little expensive for me . . . . .

I'm excited to see what people have to say!

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 03:08:39 AM »
Nils at Ye Olde Bread Blogge recommended this one to me http://www.naturaleurope.com/ne/KM-002.html  called the Fidibus Classic, has another name in Northern America.  This is the one I would get if I was going to get one...but I'm going to play a little more with the hand mill first :)
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline ackernackt

• On Board
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 02:39:27 PM »
We use an Ultramill. 

http://www.healthytraders.com/ultramill-electric-grain-mill-p-1772.html

It's a very fast mill that only makes one kind of flour...fine.  There are no adjustments so you can't do cracked wheat or rye but that's ok because most of the time we use a mill to make fine flour for breads.  We also have a hand crank mill that's adjustable but I don't like it nearly as much.  It takes MUCH longer and doesn't get the flour very fine.

If you're looking to grind your own wheat for bread or pastry flour, I would recomend a powered mill.  If you only want to use it once a year or to make cracked wheat then a hand mill would work.  I wouldn't spend my time hand grinding for flour, it takes 30-60 min for enough flour for a couple loafs of bread. 

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 07:27:42 AM »
Thanks so much for jumping in on this subject! I have been looking up the Whisper Mill, which seems to go by Wonder Mill now. And the Nutri Mill I have seen in Canada too. I was thinking a powered one for fine flour and maybe a crank for cracked grains... but they are pretty pricey here if you can even find them.
I really want to make that next step to grinding and milling within this next year or two.
Keep 'em coming!

Offline Karin

• Karin´s kitchen
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 01:19:29 PM »
I´m interested in the mill to the Kitchen aid machine, it can be ajustable but what I really want to know if I can buy one in USA and use on my european machine. accoding to the manufacter the ice machine does not work on both and all the utensils are so much cheaper in the US

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 01:08:10 PM »
Interesting - I would like to know how the KA grain mill works for people too.
Likely good for doing the coarse grains rather than flour.
What model do you have? I used to sell housewares, I know the ice cream maker only fit in certain ones because of the bowl size fitting, the other attachments are likely more universal.

Offline Karin

• Karin´s kitchen
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 01:35:32 PM »
I have an "Artisan" and the difference should be due to different electricity in europe, I can´t explain that in english

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 12:22:27 PM »
I found a picture of my sister Demeter's mill.

Anyone recognize the brand?

[smg id=38 width=600]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 10:34:32 PM by Paul »

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 02:14:43 PM »
I have an "Artisan" and the difference should be due to different electricity in europe, I can´t explain that in english

I would imagine that it would work fine for your artisan then. I have that one too. The attachment fits in that little hub part, where the logo screws off. The electrical issues should only affect speed, etc. - I would imagine. Better check with someone local though.

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 06:30:32 AM »
I have a Komo Molina and really LOVE it!

And for holding all the berries (in my case: rye, wheat and oats), I have this beautiful gadget hanging on my kitchen wall:

Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 07:56:08 AM »
Andrea, is it OK to hate you just a little bit?  :snicker:

Those are gorgeous. But man, those Molinas ("Fidibus" mills here) are a little on the pricey side... ~$500 up here in Canukistan.

Natashya, here's their site if you haven't run into it yet, with prices in both US and CND
http://www.yourethecure.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=344
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 09:31:39 AM »
Andrea, is it OK to hate you just a little bit?  :snicker:

Those are gorgeous. But man, those Molinas ("Fidibus" mills here) are a little on the pricey side... ~$500 up here in Canukistan.

OMG, Paul, I didn't know they were THAT expensive. Mine was about 200 Euros, which is about 260 USD (270 CAD). OK, so I officially allow you to hate me  ;D. But just a little bit, please...
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 08:31:30 AM »
Wow, Andrea - I am officially in love with that mill and berry storing rack!!!!!  :bow: