Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sourdough Ryes with Soaker Overview  (Read 5607 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Sourdough Ryes with Soaker Overview
« on: June 25, 2010, 07:05:19 PM »
This month we get two of the numerous rye breads:
80% Sourdough Rye with Rye Flour Soaker, found on page 213
70% Sourdough Rye with Rye Soaker & Whole Wheat Flour, found on page 215.

There are no corrections noted to these recipes so you should be fine to go with them as is.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Anne Marie

Re: Sourdough Ryes with Soaker Overview
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 06:42:34 AM »
Thanks for the note about corrections ;D  I see that the second sourdough rye has an ingredient that I have never used, rye chops.  King Arthur Flour has an interesting article on flour

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes2008/grains.html.  Rye chops appear more common in Europe.  They are rye berries that have been cut through coarse grinding.

I am going to KA flour next weekend and will see if they carry them.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 08:40:31 AM »
I've been unable to track down rye chops or, I'd assume easier still, rye kernels in my area. And ordering online is crazy when you look at delivery charges (sometime 3 times the cost of the product).

Anyone in Canukistan know where to get some? Bulk Barn doesn't have any and when I spoke to the store manager, he couldn't help. They had a select bunch of whole grains there (spelt, wheat, etc.) but no rye. When I asked if he could get some in, he basically said if they don't stock it, he can't order it. Urrgh! :doh: Bulk Barn is like this close to being a good bread supply shop but they just miss the mark. So annoying.

So whole rye sources in Southern Ontario? Anyone? Pretty please?  :(
Paul
Yumarama Blog

Oggi

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 11:03:14 AM »
I have whole rye berries I got a month ago from amazon. I should have gotten the chops also! How do I "chop" them. Oh, okay I'll google it but any tips from experts will be most helpful. :)

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 11:21:17 AM »
Cool, I definitely won't have any problems finding rye chops. If it is really coarsely ground rye berries, that is... I always have rye berries, and with my grain mill, it's no problem to grind coarsely! YAY!!!!
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline Anne Marie

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 01:03:12 PM »
Andrea, another web sited referred to them as rye berries that had been kibbled.  That is a new verb for me.

Oggi

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 03:52:05 PM »
After reading The Fresh Loaf thread, it seems it's not easy getting rye chops. Following what other people did I chopped by hand, with meat grinder using the finest die, and coffee grinder on the coarsest setting. The coffee grinder seems to do a good job but it also grinds a little of the berries into powder which is not bad. I'll sift it and add to my rye flour. I wonder if I should get a grain mill.  :hmm:

whole rye berries; chopped by hand (only for masochists)

meat grinder let through more than half of the berries; coarse setting of coffee grinder works okay

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 04:56:46 PM »
What about soaking the berries first? Once softened, they should easily get "chopped" in a food processor in just a whirl or two, no? I'm totally guessing here, I obviously haven't tried this since I can't get any but it would seem to be a possible way to do it.

A small drawback I imagine would be that once rehydrated, the rye must be all used up as it wouldn't keep long once chopped, where dry cracked it could be made in larger amounts and stored in a jar for extended periods, using just what you need on any given bake.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

Oggi

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 05:29:33 PM »
Paul, I will soak a little of the berries and will let you know. I ground just enough for one recipe. I'm satisfied with the burr coffee grinder; the chops look similar to one pictured at TFL link.

Offline blue

• On Board
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 04:30:43 PM »
Ok to help those of us who'll be looking for this ingredient via a second or third language, could someone please explain what a rye 'chop' is ? (I can just see the look on the assistant's face when I ask for this using a  literal translation of either 'chop' or 'berry' - reminds me of the time long, long ago when I went into an electrical shop and instead of asking for some electric 'cable' ('fil') I asked for an electric 'girl' (fille)  :(
blue

Offline breadexperience

• I love to bake and eat bread!
    • The Bread Experience
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 05:40:56 PM »
Okay.  If rye chops are just chopped rye berries then I should be okay as well since I have a grain mill that can grind them coarsely.  Assuming of course that I can get rye berries at the farmer's market.  I didn't get the chance to get the barley grains for the beer bread so maybe I'll luck out and get them both this time. 

Oggi

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 06:28:45 PM »
What about soaking the berries first? Once softened, they should easily get "chopped" in a food processor in just a whirl or two, no? I'm totally guessing here, I obviously haven't tried this since I can't get any but it would seem to be a possible way to do it.

A small drawback I imagine would be that once rehydrated, the rye must be all used up as it wouldn't keep long once chopped, where dry cracked it could be made in larger amounts and stored in a jar for extended periods, using just what you need on any given bake.

I soaked a tablespoon and they were easy to chop by hand and they don't fly all over the kitchen counter. It's brilliant because as you said the softened rye berries would need just a few pulses in the food processor.

I think weighing and soaking just the amount needed would avoid waste of berries.

I can't wait to make the bread but at the same time I want to bake the bialys first. Can't decide. :)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 06:47:53 PM »
Oggie, can you post a picture of your hand-chopped wet chops? It will probably be very helpful for others to see what the aim is.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

Oggi

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 08:44:28 PM »
Sorry it's a bit blurred. The kitchen recessed lights are not a good source of lighting but I had to take a shot before they dry out. They were more plump earlier today and soft I chewed on some.
I chop them coarsely maybe into 4 -5 pieces. A mezzaluna I'm sure will do a better hand chopping.

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 01:35:20 AM »
Once I get home I'll chop some rye with my grain mill and post the picture here so you guys see how it is supposed to look like (I think). From what I understand, rye chops are "Roggenschrot" in German (rye = Roggen). If anyone else knows better, please let me know...
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food