Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: JH's Vermont Sourdough  (Read 1358 times)

Offline blue

• On Board
JH's Vermont Sourdough
« on: June 19, 2010, 10:05:50 AM »
So this one is a bit better, my very first attempt of a recipe from the wonderful 'Bread'.
I was so chuffed  pompom It tastes wonderful if a little on the small side. I've been working on my white leaven and sourcing better flour and hopefully I'm on the right track. As I write two more loaves are in the oven and when I can cut them I shall post (hopefully) good photos of them for comparison.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
blue

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
Re: JH's Vermont Sourdough
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 05:09:22 PM »
 pompom :clap: pompom 

Looking good Blue!  Why the museum? This should take pride of place in the June Breads!
And your picture reminds me I have to clip the box balls in the garden...... when do you do yours?
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline blue

• On Board
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 04:18:52 AM »
Thank you kind lady! I'll try and move it or (re-)upload in the June section.

Re the box, this year all things garden related are way out of kilter. Normally I would have clipped them by the end of May but this year they haven't been done yet :'( Any day now when I have the courage. The big ball in the middle of the photo is Osmanthus burkewoodii - a much better (IMO) plant than box in that it grows much more quickly, is evergreen, can be clipped into any shape, and has the added advantage of producing masses of tiny white tubular flowers in feb/march with a wonderful perfume that would knock your socks off. It's also much less expensive which leaves more of the treasury for things bread related  ;)
blue

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 09:33:22 AM »
Ah ha! This is going to be a gardening thread.. apologies everyone, don't mind us....
I have osmanthus but I don't think it is the same sort, I have some little straggly ones and one big old one that I brought with me from my old house and I love the smell of its flowers. I have seen teaballs which have osmanthus flowers in them too, have you come across them.  Anyway I didn't recognise your topiaried one at all!  So you can chop them back into new wood I guess, maybe I will dash out now and have a go. My box balls also need a haircut, but like you haven't got round to it..... and now back to the VS to leave a comment there....  :D
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes