Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: JH's baguettes with poolish ...... not!  (Read 1399 times)

Offline blue

• On Board
JH's baguettes with poolish ...... not!
« on: June 19, 2010, 08:22:20 AM »
Hi to all,

I'm not sure if this is where one uploads disasters but here goes - my first baguettes with which you could demolish a wall or indeed anything that needs demolishing. They are soooo very hard! Errors from start to finish but it was a great learning curve.

I think I'll hold off before trying yeasted baguettes again ....   :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 08:59:23 AM by blue »
blue

Offline Anet

• On Board
Re: JH's baguettes with poolish ...... not!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 09:07:07 AM »
Well goodness, they certainly look good, the baguette holes are great! Could you just eat the middle? Make crumbs? Put them out for the birds?

Offline blue

• On Board
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 10:13:55 AM »
You are very kind Anet but the photos belie the reality. When I tried to break a baguette in two, you know what you expect to feel, a little pull is necessary to separate the two halves. Not so with these babies, I had to pull ...... hard. I'd have been guilty of cruelty to the birds to have expected them to eat these  :(  instead of the sunflower seeds and peanuts in the feeders.
blue

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 06:54:51 AM »
Well, they certainly look beautiful!  pompom

Do you have any thoughts on where they went off? Visually, all I can note is they weren't slashed so they may have not expanded as much as they would, therefore may have become compacted... but that's just a guess. Colour is great, crumb is fine, crust looks like a good thickness (not too deep). Visuals: 100 points.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline blue

• On Board
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 03:35:41 AM »
I noted a few errors along the way, but I am sure there are more (probably over-working the dough and/or over-prooving as well). The first is that I misinterpreted JH's 'speck' of yeast which left me with an underwhelming poolish and so I stupidly added a tsp of leaven and let the 'poolish' continue for several more hours than the max given in the recipe  :o I  realise now it was not necessary at all, but I had waited for that poolish for so long that I wasn't thinking straight (and my thoughts got less straight as that very long day wore on!).

The second biggest error was letting a skin form on the baguettes during the (too long?) final prove. They did however look big and plump while they were in their couches, but getting them from the couch and onto the baguette tray was a disaster - I ended up with deflated wrinklies instead of my plump beauties. I know it's invisible, but they were slashed ( :(), my first awful attempt at slashing with a razor blade but I'm guessing the skin and the collapsed state of the dough didn't help.

Next mistake was probably due to tiredness. Because of the size of my baguette tray, I considerably reduced the size of the baguettes to just over 200gr each instead of JH's 300gr but I 'forgot' to modify both the temperature and the baking time - perhaps if I'd done this things might have turned out a little better, perhaps not.

I ended up with baguettes that you could not break and pull apart except by applying considerable strength and a crumb that was like strong rubber, though to be fair, the crust was ok. Having started the poolish on a the Friday evening, I got to taste the bread at ..... (I kid you not) midnight on Saturday night  ::)

On Sunday I promised myself not to approach a yeasted baguette in a hurry  ;)
blue