Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pan for baguettes?  (Read 4156 times)

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
Re: Pan for baguettes?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 08:07:18 AM »
I really would, yes.  I do not miss it.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »
If you want to hedge your bets a bit, you could go with Bread Flour which is (in North America, anyway) about 11-12% protein. Not as high as "high protein" which is around 13% but  still a bit higher than AP and usually easily found in any decent grocer's.

You could also try adding Vital Wheat Gluten (VWG) to bump the protein level up a bit. I would add 3g to 124g of AP to get 127g total (1 cup) of flour. That 3g of VWG bumps the protein up by 2.5g. Possible issue: some folk think adding VWG is not  "just as good" as the gluten you'd be getting in High Protein flour. However, if finding HP flour is nigh impossible, I think it's a valid alternative.

VWG is 75% protein by the way so 10g (1 tablespoon) gives you 7.5g of protein. I found VWG, surprisingly, at our local bulk food store but it's also available at the fancy grocery store in the Organics section - and is priced "fancy" in small bags, too. It was way cheaper at the bulk store! And since you likely don't need to keep much on hand - how often are you likely to make bread that needs high protein flour? - a small amount should do you for quite a while if you're just using a few grams every now and then.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline blue

• On Board
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 07:27:11 AM »
Thank you for the information Paul; I had no idea that such a product existed. When I contacted one retailer of a mill flower here, they told me to add 'Kamut' but didn't make any mention of VWG. Maybe it's time I get in touch with my friendly artisan baker once again - he might be able to help (it's with his lovely French 'tradition' flour that I made those terrible baguettes and I daren't tell him  :()
blue

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 08:46:01 AM »
Well, I have to confess that the 'regular' all purpose flour I use comes in at 11.9 protein content, so maybe that is why I do not miss the high gluten additives.