Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pan for baguettes?  (Read 4091 times)

Offline blue

• On Board
Pan for baguettes?
« on: June 10, 2010, 01:58:58 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've just read Hamelman's recipe for baguettes with poolish and I'd love to try it this weekend. So far, as I've not yet got a bread stone,  I've been baking my loaves in an old Le Creuset with OK results, but my round pots won't work for baguettes.

In my area I've seen perforated baguette trays from a good manufacturer (Patisse) and also non-perforated (perhaps carbon) dark grey/black trays (manufacturer?). Has anyone any advice on which type of try (perforated-v-non perforated) might work best when a hearth is not an option?

Thanks in advance,

Blue
blue

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
Re: Pan for baguettes?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 02:23:59 PM »
Hello Blue, and thanks for posting. 

I am just beginning to understand that everyone is learning here, even though a lot these folks are very very talented.

My personal opinion is that it only matters if you like the little dots - or not. 

I bought several baguette pans from a craigslist advert, and once I got over trying to use a really 'wet' dough in the perforated pan, it is my personal favorite. 
(Lots of warm water, and it eventually came clean.)

I got a kick out of one neighbor that thought she caught me with store-bought baguettes.  I had to produce the pan to prove it.

Offline blue

• On Board
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 04:12:16 AM »
Hi Steve and thank you for your helpful reply.

You obviously make a very good baguette!

Here's hoping I can produce something passable this weekend.
blue

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 06:18:52 AM »
I've got those perforated pans too.  Any which way you can I say  ;D  Couche cloth, stone, hot pavement, pan.

As long as you have an oven and a baking sheet, you can prove the bags in a well floured linen tea towel, with folds between and then move them onto the baking sheet or tray with a stiff piece of cardboard to act as a 'flipping board'.  Do you have fine semolina in the cupboard? It's really useful for moving dough around on, acts like little ball bearings, I chuck it around everywhere, the oven is full of burnt semolina  :o  I do like the perforated tray though, it makes everything much easier :)
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 08:53:19 AM »
Wow, ain't that the truth?  The bottom of my oven was getting full of corn meal, semolina, etc.  I can't believe how much was there!

Wait until it is cool!   :o

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 09:55:07 AM »
I also have the perforated baguette pan (mine holds 3 baguettes) and just love it. The bottom of the baguettes looks really cool! Also I've read that the perforation makes the air circulate better which results in a better crust.
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline blue

• On Board
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 09:28:43 AM »
Hmmmm .... wish I'd read through all your helpful replies before I made my baguettes  :(  but hey, there's always the next time.

So, please forgive what is probably a very stupid question, but is there any reason why I should not use the curved baguette tray (covered in semolina and placed inside a plastic bag) for the final prooving?

blue

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 11:27:26 AM »
No reason that I could think of, Blue. 

I don't even use the semolina, but whatever taste you like is good.

Mellow is part of the blog name, remember?   ;D

For that matter, I usually just use a light towel to cover them instead of plastic.  I am trying to do the Green thing when I can, right?  Less plastic is usually good for my part. 

This weekend, though, I was trying to bake large quantities for a local fundraiser, and I had forgotten my peel at home.  It was really fun for me, because there were double commercial ovens, etc., and it was really warm.  Everything rose well!

Anyway, I started to final proof them on a clean high-thread-count towel, with plastic wrap draped over them.  It worked out well, because I could roll them off the towel on to my hand and arm, them roll them off on to the stone and pull off the plastic before baking.

I had to be careful not to melt any plastic, but it worked remarkably well, and we sold a lot of bread!

Offline blue

• On Board
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 06:25:44 AM »
Steve - you sound like a professional baguette baker and, let's be honest, you wouldn't be doing high-volume baking at a fundraiser unless you were very, very good at it and a genuinely mellow fellow to boot, so now stand and take a bow  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sounds like you had fun too - the experience of baking in commercial bread ovens must be a pretty good one. That way you see what your loaves are really capable of   ;D

Oh, and thank you for your reply too!

blue

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 08:39:26 AM »
Bow taken, thank you Blue.  Collectively, we did make enough to fund our scholarships for another year as well, so it was a success!

The bread making sounds like a lot more work than it really was.  A couple of the recipes from 'Bread' have become favorite, 'can't fail' recipes, so I was comfortable enough to make them and give them to a group for sale.  Of course, my buddies went in and bought them, so that helped my ego as well.

Light Rye and Challah.  I love the light Rye, but the Challah is very fast and quite showy, so it worked well for impulse sales.

Sometimes when you see an opportunity you have to take it!  It was fun to use the big kitchen.

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 04:39:11 PM »
Did anyone take any pictures of you flipping your breads at this event, Steve?  Blue's right, you sound very professional!  Lucky friends having you around baking real bread!  :clap: :clap:

Haven't made challah yet,  might  have to push that one up the list if you say it is good.  I have been a bit distracted with non bread activity lately. 
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline blue

• On Board
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 07:01:48 AM »
It helped fund your scholarship - an even more deserved  :clap: :clap: :clap:

This evening I shall give all my attention to your failsafe light rye and challah recipes - as long as neither need very strong bread flour, then I shall be delighted to give them a try ..... soon.
blue

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 07:02:26 AM »
No, Joanna, and that was by design!  I came in a day before everyone else and did some serious cleaning.  The Lodge building is over 90 years old, and it needed some real elbow grease.  When I get some time I will post a few pics of the event on the 'misc.' page.

The Challah is an interesting bread.  Really strong dough that has more oven spring than anything I have ever made.  It is tender, flavorful, sweet, lasts quite a while and makes good toast.  That, and it just looks pretty.  I even bought a shaker so I could sprinkle sesame on it!

But it is definitely not an 'every day' bread for diabetics!   :o

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 07:05:51 AM »
Blue, the Challah calls for high gluten flour.  I used it once, but have not bothered since.  I've been using regular all-purpose flour and find it is quite good.

Offline blue

• On Board
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 02:46:50 AM »
Thank you for that Steve - when I saw the 'high gluten flour' requirement for challah in the recipe, I thought I would have to give it a miss, but now you've convinced me otherwise. Would you say the same about the light rye recipe which also has the same requirement?
blue