Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Roasted barley  (Read 6754 times)

Offline ostwestwind

• Küchenlatein
Re: Roasted barley
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 05:51:54 AM »
There is no difference for the barley: no husk! It means the same in different words
Ulrike aka ostwestwind at

Küchenlatein

Offline lello

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 06:21:25 AM »
Thanks! so I will go on with my barley. I hope to bake the bread next week.

Offline Anet

• On Board
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 08:30:59 AM »
"lello" - that is a great youtube video you found for the barley! Much more involved than I would have thought. I had started to sprout some grains but realized I was not doing it right. Originally I had gotten some hulled barley grain at the Whole Foods store. Today though, I am going to the beer brewing store. 

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 11:50:43 AM »
I asked the beer brewing man, malted barley is always with husks for beer brewing, you can buy Nacktgerste (barley without husk)  everywhere, but this is not malted, you have to do it on your own. So my barley is sprouting the first day. Keep fingers crossed

not 100% true ;-) you can buy weyermann's (one of the biggest malt producers) carafa special (http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?idkat=19&umenue=yes&idmenue=37&sprache=2) which is dehusked and completely different from "normal" husked carafa (dehusked is more mellow, and because it doesn't have husks, it has lower bitterness and less tannins).

Yemu, where can I buy carafa II special in Germany? The website doesn't have an online shop, does it?
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 12:24:51 PM »
OMG, I sure hope this beer bread is going to be fantastic. I dislike beer, but the hubby loves it... I just ordered 2 lb of dehusked roasted and malted barley for 7 Euros ($8,50) - it better be good so I can use it all up. The shipment fees are killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline Lien

• Notitie van Lien (Lien's notes)
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 08:44:22 AM »
I can't get hold of barley that can be sprouted. I bought a bag but it turned out it was... well don't know how to call it... partly "scraped" on the outside. I tried to germinate it, but it wouldn't, I guess the germ was damaged. In the end I roasted it and ground it up like it was. Too bad.
I wouldn't want to spend so much on this by ordering it in from somewhere for just a bread or two to be honest.

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 09:45:32 AM »
Well, 2 lb are going to last for A LOT of breads, so the next couple of months the hubby will be fed beer bread  rofl
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 11:38:26 AM »
...and he will be smiling between every bite!

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 02:35:16 PM »
It is now August 8th, and I still have not done this bread - yet.  I do have the barley set aside and sprouting, so it will not be long now.

Let me tell you, that cabinet where I am keeping it smells wonderful!