Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Zeb's Breconer Vermont Sourdough  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
Zeb's Breconer Vermont Sourdough
« on: June 04, 2010, 07:40:08 AM »
Hi all, I'm on the final prove of the dough......

warm here, I've been jumping in and out of the dogs paddling pool, considering going down to the lake for the first outdoor swim of the year... hmm.... yes , no , yes , no....... maybe I'll get back in the paddling pool instead  rofl

Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Oggi

Re: Zeb's Breconer Vermont Sourdough
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 08:03:20 AM »
Cute overload! :)

Offline qahtan

• On Board
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 09:02:47 AM »
 cute picture, who was doing all the talking while we were on the telphone.... qahtan

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 10:25:55 AM »
Does anyone know how to translate 150kb into pixel sizes. I've just spent some money on a watermarking thingy and it says I can also resize the photos too! But I don't have a clue how to relate kb to pixels..... :doh:
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline ostwestwind

• Küchenlatein
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 10:56:53 AM »
It depends on the dpi you resize. If you resize with 1 dpi, 1000 x 750 pixel are 120 kb
Ulrike aka ostwestwind at

Küchenlatein

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
Zeb's Vermont Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 01:05:05 PM »
 Thanks for the tips Ulrike, I am pretty hopeless at these things.  ???   Anyway  I've just finished writing my homework and here is my Vermont Sourdough post. http://wp.me/pSFVI-fQ  Another lovely sourdough, not retarded hence the flavour was quite mild and creamy tasting.  I don't seem to get those huge holes in any of my breads at the moment, wonder if it is to do with how I shape, or if my starter is maybe getting on a bit in years, still I was very happy with this bread and it's nearly all gone already. I'll just have to make some more.  ;D

Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline difrei

• On Board
    • Di's Kitchen Notebook
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 01:49:26 PM »
That looks gorgeous, Joanna!  Here's hoping my second attempt looks something like that.  lol

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 02:32:57 AM »
Does anyone know how to translate 150kb into pixel sizes. I've just spent some money on a watermarking thingy and it says I can also resize the photos too! But I don't have a clue how to relate kb to pixels..... :doh:

It makes sense you're confused about it because they don't really relate to each other. Picture dimension (pixel width & height) don't have much to do with the file size (kbites) other than the bigger the picture it's likely to be a bigger file size.

Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Oggi

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 11:03:29 AM »
It looks lovely and I can almost smell it! Mmmmm sourdough bread.

I'll just have to make some more.  ;D

Me too. I'm making the WW version together with the Beer Bread next week. :)

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 05:39:09 PM »
It makes sense you're confused about it because they don't really relate to each other. Picture dimension (pixel width & height) don't have much to do with the file size (kbites) other than the bigger the picture it's likely to be a bigger file size.

So what is a good size in pixels for uploading to blog posts etc?  At the moment I use my Mail programme which has small medium and large options, mail the pictures to myself at medium and upload them.  But it's clunky and fills up my Mail programme and the iwatermark prog offers you a resizing option in all sorts of sizes of pixels but I don't know which size to choose.  My brain hurts now. Does the watermark thingy look ok do you think by the way?  I think I could lose the copyright symbol as I don't mind people copying the photos so long as they credit them.
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 06:20:47 PM »
Well, your photos on the blog are currently 640 pixels wide - the ones on mine are 590, so it depends entirely on the template you use. I resize all my photos to that basic 590 size except for the glams which I resize to 800 wide. From the camera, they all come in at 1728 × 1152 pixels wide.

The smaller pics I've calculated to be 193 and 292 pixels if I want three or two smaller photos - usually less important/interesting steps like mixing. These sizes are set in Wordpress so I can automatically choose the right size even though ALL photos (almost) are uploaded at 590 pixels wide, even the small ones.

So if you want to keep life simple, resize your photos to upload at 640 pixels and you'll be good to go. Keep in mind, however, that wordpress will resize them down (never up) to your preset "normal" size even if you upload them larger so it's not mandatory that you upload them at a set size. The defaults can be set in Dashboard> Settings> Media.

At that 640 size even really complex photos won't be too huge, in the file size department. Mine are typically in the 50 - 80k range, the 800 pixel pics get into 100 - 120k.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 07:09:27 PM »
You are really kind to explain that to me.  Many many thanks Paul. You are a star!  ;D ;D here are some flowers for you
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 07:27:14 AM »
Uh, if Paul gets the flowers, I um, well, what are you planning for the rest of that bread?  That really looks wonderful!

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 02:27:18 PM »
Hi Steve, you can have the B, if you're feeling left out,  my hubbie and me have eaten the J. The flowers were a wedding present and I just thought I'd share them around  ;D
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 03:14:06 PM »
Whoaa - hold on there - are you telling us congratulations are in order?

Congratulations!

I will have to politely decline, though; if I keep eating these great breads I will need three seats on the plane!  Keep it up, though, it looks terrific.

I am glad that you pointed me right at the lettering - that is great handiwork as well!  Some day I, too, might learn to curve my slices!  (but not yet!)

Thanks, I really wish I could try that 'B'!