Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Beer Bread Overview  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Beer Bread Overview
« on: May 25, 2010, 07:36:43 PM »
This bread, aside form the inclusion of beer, has a somewhat unusual added step which requires the roasting and grinding of malted (sprouted) barley which, says Hamelman, can be procured from most brew-it-yourself shops. The Home recipe lists it at 1.6 oz (1/4 cup) or 45 grams, a rather small amount.

If husked malted  barley is not available, regular, unmalted barley (generally easy to find in normal grocery stores) can be used instead.

And of course, you'll need beer, 10.9 oz (1 3/8 cup or 309 grams) of it. No specific description is made so it's up to you what type you use. I have a can a Guinness looking for a purpose...

This recipe is found on page 141, in the Yeasted Pre-Ferment Breads section.

When you are ready to post your bread results, please start a fresh thread in this subsection.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Abby

• Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it!
Re: Beer Bread Overview
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 08:25:43 PM »
Oh my, hubby is going to be unbelievably excited to see this one.

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 02:02:02 AM »
My hubby is going to be excited about this one, too!  :P I don't like beer at all, so I guess I'd rather make a very small loaf just for the hubby.
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 05:47:36 AM »
I have never met a Guinness that was looking for a purpose - for long. 

I keep hoping that I can find a Guinness that survives (or escapes my sight) long enough to try making Quatan's Guinness and Walnut bread with the real thing, but I have no self-control!

Thanks, Paul, great timing.  After your broad hint, I had just set a starter last night specifically for for the Vermont Sourdough.

Offline ostwestwind

• Küchenlatein
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 02:40:14 PM »
I hope my brewery is as friendly as the last time
Ulrike aka ostwestwind at

Küchenlatein

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 01:30:37 PM »
Without wishing to plug anyone or anything, one can get spraymalt, which is light powdered malted barley and other similar malted ingredients from bakerybits.co.uk in relatively small quantities. I use spraymalt instead of added sugar in breads and cakes sometimes. You can also get Muntons spraymalts in brewing shops and the like. It is also possible to sprout other grain to get the same or similar effect apparently, though barley is the grain of choice. It is nigh on impossible to get hold of small quantities of unhusked viable barley in England, all the barley has been prepared in some way by the time it gets to the wholefood shops and just goes mouldy when you try to sprout it.   

When I first saw the title of this I thought it was going to be a barm bread made with a beer barm but it looks like the beer just goes in the final dough.  I am looking forward to trying it though  :D
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Oggi

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 08:42:19 AM »
I was going to skip this one but was convinced by Ulrike to at least try it.

It turns out I have a small [4 oz] unopened package of malted flour (finely ground malted barley) which was purchased a few months ago from a Korean grocery store. I can't remember why I bought it. Maybe I have ESP? :)

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 04:26:39 PM »
Extra Supply Products?  I guess so!   :doh:

Oggi

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 12:42:58 PM »
Steve,  rofl

Offline SallyBR

• On Board
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 03:53:08 PM »
I don't think I can find the sprouted barley.... any suggestions?

what exactly am I looking for if I need to place an order online?????

Offline ostwestwind

• Küchenlatein
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 11:17:11 PM »
There is nothing easier than sprouting barley at home. You only need germinable barley.

This takes about three days.

Roast and grind it, ready to bake

« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 10:30:51 AM by ostwestwind »

Küchenlatein

Oggi

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 08:07:50 AM »
Ulrike, I love the close-up pic.

I'll sprout some barley today. Thanks for making me more enthusiastic for this bread. :)

Offline ostwestwind

• Küchenlatein
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 10:34:47 AM »
You are welcome.

I know the recipe sounds not very convincing, but I love to overcome antipathies. I wouldn't have thought I'd like the bagels or the grissini.

I baked several beer breads, so why not trying this recipe.

Küchenlatein

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 10:56:24 AM »
As I think I said it is not always easy to find 'viable' barley to sprout,  especially in England!

Sally, this is the sort of stuff you need if you are going to buy it 'off the shelf' http://www.amazon.com/Barley-Malt-Powder-1-lb/dp/B00015UC8O.  If you have a home brew place near you they probably have it.  Or one of the places like King Arthur http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/non-diastatic-malt-powder-16-oz  or other bakery suppliers. I'm assuming it's the non diastatic stuff for this recipe?

It's good stuff to have in the cupboard, just make sure you keep it very dry, ideally in an air tight container, it tends to be very hygroscopic and clumps and lumps if it gets damp and is not easy then to mix into dough. I use it quite often in white breads. Lots of english breads traditionally have malted elements in them, so the taste is very familiar here. Barley and oats being grown particularly in the north of the country.
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 07:29:22 AM »
This was not my first trip to the home-brew store. 

I mean, for bread making items, or course!