Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wahoo for May breads!  (Read 2966 times)

Offline Abby

• Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it!
Wahoo for May breads!
« on: April 24, 2010, 01:09:28 PM »
Hubby just laughed at me for saying "Wahoo, the May breads are posted!"  :woot:
But I've been wondering what we were going to bake next month . . . . . . . .

Thanks for posting them, Paul!

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
Re: Wahoo for May breads!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 02:41:31 PM »
 :laugh:
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 05:56:52 PM »
Wahoo indeed! I sent the list through the Magikal Random Recipe Picker (thanks once more to Andrea and Hubby) and we got a nice selection right off the bat.

So I went ahead, got the entire list of breads put through and from the looks of it, with adjustments for "variations" breads (i.e. all the Vermonts) and making sure we didn't get two variation breads in one month, we'll be baking until Feb 2012 so basically, 23 months worth of baking at 3 breads a month.

Now we might pull one or two breads out here and there and tack them to the tail end if we decide to do something "special" such as an online bread, like maybe we'll do croissants as well as two BREAD recipes. Or hop over one month and do one bread over and over to really get a technique down, like baguettes which seem to be a stickler for many people. But these are just rumblings in my head, we'll see how things go after several months.

We'll also want to add the occasional "similar" recipe for those who don't have the book as I did with the Corn Bread this month. Which reminds me, I need to emphasize that better.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 10:43:17 AM »
The darling breads of May, hooray  pompom

Can we start the conversation about ingredients yet, or should we wait for another week. Oh well, I'll just start with this one.  Anyone know what high extraction flour is in the UK? Is it strong wholemeal?
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline SallyBR

• On Board
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!   POILANE!!!!!

I am doing the Poilane dance here!!!!!    pompom

Offline ostwestwind

• Küchenlatein
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 12:38:41 PM »
The darling breads of May, hooray  pompom

Can we start the conversation about ingredients yet, or should we wait for another week. Oh well, I'll just start with this one.  Anyone know what high extraction flour is in the UK? Is it strong wholemeal?

This is tricky and math, because Hamelman speaks about an ash content of 0,92 %

Flour ash is usually expressed on a common moisture basis of 14 percent in the US. In Germany to the dry weight. If this was the only problem I should go with flour type 1065, but: In the US the ash is analyzed by 585 °C, in Germany at 900 °C. That means the ash content in the US is higher, because at lower temperatures less organic compunds burn,  expressed on dry weight or moisture basis of 14 %.

To keep the long story short I used a mixture of 740 g wheat flour 1050 and 260 g manitoba flour, which correspond to type 550 but has 20 % more gluten. And for a hydration of 82 % I need any protein I can get
Ulrike aka ostwestwind at

Küchenlatein

Offline Lien

• Notitie van Lien (Lien's notes)
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 06:33:29 AM »
wow ulrike, how do you know all these thing. I just know that flours here (europe) and there (over the pond) are not the same. I just use common sense (when I can find it that is) and knowing my flours use them to make it work (at least that's the intention, doesn't mean it can't go wrong!)
Is the ash% printed on German flour bags?

Offline ostwestwind

• Küchenlatein
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 11:24:48 AM »
Yes, in Germany the flour is classified by ash content. That means Type, but if you want to try the 82 % hydration I highly recommend to use Manitoba flour or something similar. Although I used it and made 4 foldings, the dough spreaded over the whole peel. I didn't have much time for slashing and getting the bread onto the stone without leaving the rim of the peel.

I already baked the bread 4 years ago with 85 % whole-wheat and 15 % Type 550 and ended with a flat bread although I decreased the hydration ... It's the right flour, which makes the recipe working.

And once scientist always scientist, even in bread baking ;-)

Ulrike aka ostwestwind at

Küchenlatein

Offline Natashya KitchenPuppies

• Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 02:21:09 PM »
On a totally different note - I was talking to a retired farmer quite a while ago at a party - and he was talking about the allowed bug content in milled flour. (Milled bugs)  It is much higher than you would think!
Now, would that be under ash or protein content... ?

Offline Abby

• Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it!
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 08:20:11 PM »
ewwwww!  rofl

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 01:02:08 AM »
UGH!  :o
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 02:50:30 AM »
my vote goes for protein yum  :D

Ulrike I can't get my head round the ash stuff (as you probably suspect already from our emails)  as flour is by and large not classified that way here in England.   I might ask Shipton Mill if they know what the equivalent would be from their range and give them the information you have put here. I'll post the answer here later.  Thanks for taking the trouble to explain it to us all.   ;D

I thought miches were quite flat in profile anyway?  All the ones I have seen are...
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Nat

• On Board
  • From Hong Kong and love bread.
    • Bao/Bread
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 09:38:35 AM »
Oh my god ... bug content ... don't let the vegetarians know  :P