Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Brotform sizes?  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Abby

• Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it!
Brotform sizes?
« on: April 20, 2010, 08:53:26 AM »
I think I'm going to finally order a couple of proofing baskets . . . but it looks like there are a lot of sizes (8 in round, 9 in round, etc, etc). What sizes do you have/use/love??

Offline ostwestwind

• Küchenlatein
Re: Brotform sizes?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 11:47:16 AM »
I have  round and oval bannetons, but mostly I use the oval ones, then I can get two breads at a time onto the baking stone. The form is about 28 cm by 14 cm
Ulrike aka ostwestwind at

Küchenlatein

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 04:04:47 PM »
A lot of the 'Bread' recipes seem to make approx 3 and a half pounds of dough if you are using the Home column, so unless you are going to scale the quantities yourself each time, you might want to get forms that fit with this. 2 x 750 gram size or 3 x 500 gram size would probably be quite close, but the big ones are hard to get in the oven at the same time, unless you have a big oven!  If you look here http://www.herbert-birnbaum.de./GB/brotformen.html  you will find a lot of size info and shapes. I know you probably can't get all these where you are but it's useful to see the range.

I have quite a few, but the ones I use the most are the 750g size ones, sometimes the 500 gram ones, if I want to make several smallish loaves to give away.
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 05:23:38 PM »
I ordered from brotform.com (they're in Minesota) and got the 1 - 1.5 lb (450g - 680g) baskets in the 9" round and 13" oblong. I compared these dimensions with baskets on that birnbaum site Zeb mentioned to make sure they were adequate for the 680 - 750g loaves we are making in BREAD as these are fine sizes for our household. A 2 lb (900g) loaf is getting too big for our needs.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 02:47:23 AM »
I also prefer using my 500 g (1,1 lb) and 750 g oval brotforms (1,6 lb). And I want to buy a round one, too. I have one 1,5 kg (3,3 lb) oval brotform that I have never used so far because it's just too big. If shipping wasn't so expensive (it's like 15 dollars to the US) I would offer it to you guys. Oh, maybe that's an idea for my next giveaway  pompom
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food