Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bread disaster pictures anyone?  (Read 9131 times)

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
Re: Bread disaster pictures anyone?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 10:04:55 AM »
Thanks Lien, it was splendid and awful and I have never made one since  :woot: and I had forgotten this one but I was blogging about my favourite rye bread and found it again...

OK, who can work out what happened here?  Just had a thought no one will ever take me seriously having seen all these awful breads, thank goodness for that  :laugh:
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 11:23:49 AM »
OK, you got me.  I can't work out what happened there, either!  But it is cool to see your lunch box there on the counter!

As a confirmed crust eater, I would have been a good helper on that loaf!

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 12:06:58 PM »
Do you have bonios where you live, Steve?  Now that's a baking project.... I have been known to bake bread sticks for the dogs, with chicken and carrots, and once I made them biscuits that were so hard they refused to eat them  :'(

I know what happened to that bread though.... I was there...... :o  That's the bottom side of it that you can see there.....  It was supposed to be a boule.... like this one which came out very pretty. (Trying to rescue my reputation here.)
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Natashya KitchenPuppies

• Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 02:02:30 PM »
Wow, now I wish I had pics of my flops!

Nat - is the Volkornbrot from The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book? I made that, and, while it looked okay - it was so hard it chipped a molar! My worst bread.  :doh:
I would love to know if anyone actually had any success with that recipe.

Offline Nat

• On Board
  • From Hong Kong and love bread.
    • Bao/Bread
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 09:04:30 AM »
It's from Hamelman's book... I followed every step in the book, waited for 24hrs before slicing the bread but it was broken into pieces   :( :(

I am not sure if these are the causes ...
1) The centre was still moist when I cut the bread -- I should bake the bread longer than recipe indicated
2) I used a 9x5' pan loaf for the bread -- I am not sure if the pan loaf size for vollkornbrot should be smaller, but the dough fitted to the pan very well
3) The recipe uses rye meal and rye chops only and no flour, and my dough seemed didn't stick together..

I made the bread recently, luckily there's no vollkornbrot in the May breads, I am not psychologically ready to bake it again!  :doh:

What happened to yours, Natashya?

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 09:31:32 AM »
Joanna, I am not familiar with Bonios, but WOW, that is a gorgeous loaf of bread!

As far as hard bread, well, I am sure that not everyone out there consumes everything that they bake, right?  For a time, I gave a lot away, but I was running out of willing neighbors.  Anyway, I got home from work last night and heard some distinct hammering coming from the back yard.  It was my wife, taking my 22 oz. framng hammer to all the old loaves and crusts we had saved to feed the birds and squirrels.

Her objective was "just to make it small enough so that the squirrels can carry them away."

I love it.  rofl

Offline Natashya KitchenPuppies

• Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 09:35:33 AM »
Here is my Vollkornbrot!
http://livinginthekitchenwithpuppies.blogspot.com/2008/08/dont-eat-crust.html
Hurts my teeth just thinking about it...  :doh:

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2010, 01:18:27 PM »
Hi Steve, I thought you were saying my old cracker tin with the 'bonio' label on the side was my lunch box?  Bonios are dog biscuits that are well, bone shaped.  Zeb, the real Zeb, is my dog. So I thought you were saying....oh well... I am sure you get my drift    :D   But don't throw away your best 'hard' bread, especially not your sourdough rye, keep it, freeze a couple of hundred grams of the ends or the crusts,(not if it is mouldy but if it is just dry and past its best)  you will be needing it...... but that would be a spoiler if I told you why....... " :o
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 01:40:00 PM »
OK, I finally get it, thanks Joanna!

No spoiler, I think I get your drift on that subject as well.  I will have plenty on hand...

...and in case you are referring to really really dark breads,  I love pumpernickel.  I prefer the stuff without the coffee, cocoa powder and caramel added, though...    :clap:

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 02:59:22 PM »
Have you tried making that Horst Bandel bread yet?  Such a good story, such an impossible bread to cook correctly at home... :'(
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Oggi

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2010, 05:04:26 PM »
Here is my beet greens and Parmesan challah. The pan I used was way too small and the top was pushed to the side making it freakishly lopsided, with the guts coming out on one side. The bread was delicious though.

I love this thread. I never take photos of all my disastrous breads; I will now. ;D

Oggi

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 07:10:52 AM »
Have you tried making that Horst Bandel bread yet?  Such a good story, such an impossible bread to cook correctly at home... :'(

No, I have not, but it is on my list of want-to-do's!  Thanks!

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 02:17:02 PM »
Lovely Oggi!  That looks like a great bread! And it sounds really interesting too! I've never tried making a challah...

We  don't get much pumpernickel here Steve. Is the sort you know a soft bread or a flat grainy german style bread like a vollkornbrot?  They used to make a black soft bread when I was a kid, that I am sure was a yeasted wheat bread coloured with something like coffee or caramel, is that american pumpernickel or is it something else again?

Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2010, 09:27:38 AM »
From what I have read and tried myself, most of the pumpernickel I have gotten here in the Midwestern US is just a rye bread with coffee, caramel, cocoa, and other things thrown in to get a dark color.  My state (MN) is known for having lots and lots of white and brown food...

I tried a pumpernickel recipe that was supposed to be more authentic, but I made it into baguette shaped rolls.  It took hours to bake, but when sliced very thin, this hard little 'pumpernickel' carried a lot of new tastes to me.  I had never tried home made mustard, sauer kraut, or several other items in my life.  It was an awesome experience, and I look forward to trying more variations.

So to answer you directly Joanne, I am most familiar with the brown version of wonder bread in the stores, but I am hoping to get acquainted with the grainy German variety very soon.

:-X

Offline ostwestwind

• Küchenlatein
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 12:29:53 PM »
Pumpernickel is a bread from 100% whole rye and sourdough. It's more cooked than baked about at least 16 h. Nothing for a home baker ;-) No coffee. This is written in the guidelines for bread in Germany. Most breads outside Germany are not pumpernickel in the sense of these guidelines.
Ulrike aka ostwestwind at

Küchenlatein