Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Nobody's perfect...  (Read 4099 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Nobody's perfect...
« on: April 11, 2010, 08:09:39 PM »
As some of us came to note, there are slight changes showing up in different editions of the Hamelman book Bread. So I thought if we become aware of any changes or run across errors that would afect the recipes, we might want to keep track of them here as a centralized place. This way we can all check our copies and write in the corrections as needed.

If you learn about one, please add it to this thread. Indicate what the old text noted and what the corrected text should be. If you found the info online, please add a link back to the source using the little blue planet button on the posting page.

Start a new thread for each new item/correction/change.

Hopefully, there will be very few posts in this thread.

If you need to figure out what print run your copy is, check the copyright page at the start of the book, you'll see the following at the bottom:

Your print run is the last number in that list at the bottom. If you have all the numbers from 10 to 1, your print run is #1 (first printing), if yours show only "10 9 8" then yours is the 8th printing.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Natashya KitchenPuppies

• Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
Re: Nobody's perfect...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 05:19:15 AM »
I love learning about this number of printings... how do they record over ten?

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:14:16 AM »
I'm guessing when they get to 11 (Spinal Tap reference?) they might think it's time to pump out a new edition. Or they just don't go there and stop printing, end of the book's run.

And just as a general point, Wiley's modifying of the book on different printing (not editions) is a little out of the ordinary. The idea of a printing is exactly that: you print more of the original book, using the same printing plates, etc.. A new edition is supposed to be an updated version of the book where one would add new information, changes, updates, etc.. Wiley is mixing the two things and it's very confusing. Ad that they refuse to admit they're making the changes and won't publish an Errata sheet (and it would be very simple to do so online) and you have a really crappy process for finding out what's been updated.

Editorial Comment:

So with that info, as each new "printing" is in fact a new "edition" and there's no record of what has or hasn't been changed in which printing, we just have to rely on people finding issues and posting about them online. In other words, what Wiley should be doing but won't which is quite frustrating. They go to the bother of changing the book itself on each new printing but don't think it's useful to note what these changes are on a webpage. The reason for this lack of easily located official Errata can only be guessed at. And my own guesses don't do Wiley any favours. They are, it seems, like the MacDonalds or Walmart of publishing: they're huge, they're everywhere but they're not very good. And you can't really avoid them.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 10:37:27 AM »
Heehee I'm only a 2, they must have shipped them over here to get rid of them!  nu-uh
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 11:10:09 AM »
Ooo... that means you will have to be extra watchful for changes...
Paul
Yumarama Blog

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 11:33:15 AM »
I'm from overseas, too, but I got lucky: I have an 8!
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline ostwestwind

• Küchenlatein
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 08:23:52 AM »
Surprise, surprise , my edition

Ulrike aka ostwestwind at

Küchenlatein

Offline Abby

• Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 12:03:37 PM »
Wow, a first printing!  :o

Offline Nat

• On Board
  • From Hong Kong and love bread.
    • Bao/Bread
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 09:33:21 AM »
Mine is also first printing .........

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 05:01:39 AM »
Oh, I think I know why I have a new printing even though I'm in Germany... I think, I ordered this book directly from amazon.com because even with shipping and tax it was much cheaper than ordering it from amazon.de... So, they treated me as if I was an American customer - thus, I have the new printing.  :P
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline ostwestwind

• Küchenlatein
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 11:41:36 AM »
When did you order yours? I posted my first recipe from that book in December 2005 and I had baked that recipe already in 2004. I really don't know the exact ordering date ....
Ulrike aka ostwestwind at

Küchenlatein

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 11:54:59 AM »
@Ulrike: I ordered it some time last fall (or autumn,as the British would say - because we had the corn and maize question in the other thread), I think. Definitely not earlier than that.
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline Abby

• Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it!
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »
@Ulrike: I ordered it some time last fall (or autumn,as the British would say - because we had the corn and maize question in the other thread), I think. Definitely not earlier than that.

Interesting, Andrea, because I just ordered mine right before we started baking (some time in March?) and I think we have the same printing . . . hmmmm.

Offline Lien

• Notitie van Lien (Lien's notes)
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 08:27:51 AM »
I have a second printing. I checked my order history at amazon and it was send overseas on June 18th 2006. But whatever printing we have, with the errata sheet Pauls published we can all update our books!!

Offline Kenneth

• On Board
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 03:09:32 PM »
For what it's worth I've just received my copy of 'Bread' today, 5th February 2011. It's a 9 yet I notice there is at least one error in the errata that has not been corrected in my new book so presumably there will be a 10 at some point in the future unless there’s already a 10 and I have an old copy!