Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: straight and poolish baguettes next to each other  (Read 1112 times)

Offline jefklak

• Nougatbollen dutch cooking blog
straight and poolish baguettes next to each other
« on: August 13, 2012, 04:40:46 AM »
Details here: http://www.savesourdough.com/straight-and-poolish-baguettes/

I still had to bake the "french bread" recipe so I decided to do both (I halved both recipes ingredients) next to each other. I've had a lot of fun baking both versions and I finally got an opportunity to try out my new baker's linen. That thing is really amazing, it does not stick at all like parchment paper and holds up the baguette's shape well.

Of course the poolish version was superior in taste and I felt a little bit more confident in handling them, I don't know why. Because it contained less water or has been fermented correctly thanks to the poolish?
I did underproof them I think (both versions), because the shaping needs work and they were not tighly sealed, I thought they overproofed (fingerpoke test). It's extremely hard for me to judge readyness for baguettes!

I'm getting better at scoring, I dare to say it's my best version yet.
Will bake again! (already baked 4 times now)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Re: straight and poolish baguettes next to each other
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 04:59:13 PM »
Those look really nice! Good job  pompom

Keep making them, whenever possible, since repeating will get you more experience, better slashes, and a deeper understanding of what little changes do to your dough.

:thumbup:
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.