Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: #19 40% Rye with Caraway Overview  (Read 910 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
#19 40% Rye with Caraway Overview
« on: July 24, 2012, 10:57:19 PM »
Back to a more "typical" rye loaf this month, this one is a lovely bread with great aroma due in part to the caraway.

I've made a very similar version a few times now.

You'll find this recipe on page 194. There are no noted corrections.

ProTips:

Tip #1:
Try roasting the caraway seed in a 250ºF (120ºC) oven for about 10 minutes or just until they are fragrant before using. This will enhance their flavour immensely. Also consider a combo of seed: ½ caraway, ¼ fennel and ¼ coriander are really nice together and less "licorice-y" for those who are not caraway fans. Lastly, if you have bread testers who aren't too keen on these seeds, you can chop/grind most (or all) of them in a coffee grinder (grind up some dry bread before and after to clean old coffee and seed remnants out) and therefore "hide" most of the seeds while keeping their flavour.

Tip #2: Use a cornstarch/cornflour glaze to get a shiny crust (like you see in the photo above).

Cornstarch Glaze:

You can prepare this while the shaped loaves are doing their final proofing.

1 Tbsp (7 g) cornstarch/cornflour
2 Tbsp (28 g) cool water
1/2 c (118 g) boiling water (in pot)

In a small bowl or cup, mix the cornstarch and cool water together to get a smooth slurry. Add this to the 1/2 cup of boiling water on the stove and stir over medium heat until it begins to boil and is slightly thickened. Stir and allow to boil for a few more seconds to cook the starch. Remove from heat and set aside until needed. It will be fine if it cools down.

Just before the bread goes into the oven, brush on, (coat top with seed if desired or leave bare) slash the loaves and bake as usual.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.