Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 70% wholerye with rye flakes as soaker  (Read 1018 times)

Offline jefklak

• Nougatbollen dutch cooking blog
70% wholerye with rye flakes as soaker
« on: July 01, 2012, 01:14:14 PM »
I posted the pictures at my new website called "savesourdough.om":

http://www.savesourdough.com/70-rye-with-soaker/

You can take a look at the Savesourdough main page in order to read what the website is trying to accomplish :)

I'm still eagerly waiting for 24 hours to pass in order to cut the bread, exciting!
I did have one remark with this dough: as I'm reading other posts in the archive, most people said the dough was more like a batter and they just poored it into the pullman tin. My version was very dense (almost like a brick, you could "shape" it by pressing together the dough haha). It was still very sticky but no batter at all, very very dense.
Take a look at the second picture in the blog post and you'll see what I mean.

Is this normal?
That's the only downside to baking "virtually together", feedback is a bit less obvious.

I also proofed it for one hour but it did not rise that much. Maybe I should have let it rise more.
I proofed it in the microwave after preheating it a bit to be able to try and get 29-30°C in a closed space.

As you can see it's quite heavy and not open at all, I fear I might have underproofed it a lot.
Any tips on this one?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 02:59:46 PM by jefklak »

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Re: 70% wholerye with rye flakes as soaker
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 01:19:53 AM »
That actually looks rather good. At 70% rye, you aren't going to see much in the way of open texture since there's almost no gluten development - since there's almost no gluten in rye.

Heavy bread isn't a bad thing in rye land. I think you have to judge on the actual texture/feel of the finished bread. It's going to be rather hard to tell by a photo of very closed grained bread if it has baked up enough. But I would think you have a great rye bread there from just the photo. Thin slices, top with some pastrami and a little mustard and you should have awesomeness on a plate. Or toast it up a bit and just spread with a little butter... rye bread heaven.

So, what's the crumb texture like?
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline jefklak

• Nougatbollen dutch cooking blog
Re: 70% wholerye with rye flakes as soaker
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 05:00:50 AM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the kind words. I just ate two very thin slices with some leftover pasta sauce and I really, *really really* like the taste. It's more sour than (partially whole-) wheat sourdough bread. I made a rye starter 1.5 weeks ago using my 100% white wheat starter and kept it fairly stiff, hoping to get a more distinct sourdough flavor. I think I did but it still needs to mature more.

A thin slice weighs 40gr (yoink!), it's not that open but moist and tasty, so at this point I don't really care. It could be better (of course it could), next time I'm baking this bread I'm going to try 3 things:
- add more water to the flake soaker to try and get 80-85% hydratation (longer bake?)
- dropping the yeast
- letting it proof (much) longer!

Now that I think of it, I also forgot to add salt to the soaker, I wonder whether that matters in any way.
Looking forward to the 80% bake!

P.S. Not many other mellow bakers still in the running? :)