Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: #16 Bialys  (Read 1821 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
#16 Bialys
« on: June 25, 2012, 09:12:30 PM »
Coming to us from the Miscellaneous section, our 3rd bread type this month is Bialys, found on page 262.

Photo by roboppy on Flickr.

Bialy (singular) is pronounced "bee-ah-lee" or "bee-ah-leez" for plural.

"Bagels without the hole", says Mr Hamelman, but also bagels that aren't boiled, just baked. Then the depression in the middle of the bialy is spread with a little chopped onion and white bread crumbs (save a slice of those baguettes!) or onion and garlic, or garlic alone or poppy seed or...

Another rather fast bread, these can be made, start to finish in about 4 hours. The onion mix can be made and let rest for their 2 hours while the dough is bulk proofing.

There IS a correction noted for Bialys: the recipe's yeast should read:
.12 oz, instant dry (1 1/8 tsp)

That's 3.4 grams, by the way. My copy reads ".07 oz, 3/4 tsp"

For those without the book who'd like to make this style of bread along with us, you can find a recipe on the Bread Cetera blog which is a modification from Maggie Glezer's recipe in "Artisan Baking" (US, UK or Canada). An excellent book I very highly recommend, by the way. Full of amazing recipes and interesting info on artisan bakers and beautifully photographed. Currently (June 2012) available for just $15.45 USD new or $7.94 USD used on Amazon.com. (A hardcover edition titled "Artisan Baking Across America" is out of print.)

Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.