Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bagels  (Read 957 times)

Offline KnackeredBaking

• On Board
Bagels
« on: April 30, 2012, 09:34:21 PM »
I made it, just under the wire!  I didn't have too much difficulty making these.  The dough was nice and stiff.  I prepared the dough on Thursday but froze them over the weekend, and boiled and baked them today.  I worried that this might ruin them, but they turned out really nicely!  Soft, chewy and delicious!  I'll probably make them more often.  But smaller.  I thought the 4 oz pieces were way too big because they looked HUGE after I boiled them.  But then I had no problems gobbling up my bagel, so maybe 4 ounces isn't so bad after all!

Oh, and they didn't get much colour either.  Did anyone else notice that?

Offline paulo

• On Board
    • Zine de Pão
Re: Bagels
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 02:06:16 PM »
Howdy,

Haven't made those yet, but we are mellow... so I'll probably do this April bread somewhere next weekend. I really want to make bagels! Did you use the malt powder? If not that might explain the lack of coloring. Cooking it in a liquid with maple syrup should also help to have some more sugars in the surface.

I believe that everyone that doesn't have the malt powder should follows Jeffrey's suggestion in the sidebar and add some sugar to the formula. That way you'll get additional coloring.
My bread baking blog (in Portuguese, but google can help you!): Zine de Pão