Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Why require most rye sourdough breads additional yeast?  (Read 1061 times)

Offline jefklak

• Nougatbollen dutch cooking blog
Why require most rye sourdough breads additional yeast?
« on: May 13, 2012, 02:18:15 PM »
I did a second light rye bake this weekend, and I did build up the rye starter in 3 days, eventually ending with 500gr instead of the wanted 270, haha. Since the starter only used rye and 80% hydratation, it wasn't that easy to see it rise (compared to a 100% WW starter). I decided to bake a miche style bread and 2 large loaves instead.

The structure was still not open at all and very "mushy". I was expecting it to be airy like any other sourdough with a white wet starter (vermont, pain au levain, ...) as this recipe didn't require that much rye and it even used high gluten flour! How strange...
My previous attempt didn't lead to a open structure either.
I think it's because I used fresh yeast and the proofing times are 1hour. Yes it did rise (quite fast in fact) but hey, it contains regular yeast...

The taste was disappointing, nothing special, even with 500gr of rye starter added!
So my question is: why does Mr. Hamelman always add yeast in rye sourdoughs, even if the rye % used is very low like this bread?

The crumb was great, I used a lot of steam:

If you see cracks and you literally hear or see it crack away after taking it out of the oven, good stuff...
(Yes it's a bit too dark at one side haha)