Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Chris's ... well, not sure what it is  (Read 1326 times)

Offline throup

• On Board
  • Chris Throup
    • Chris Throup
Chris's ... well, not sure what it is
« on: May 06, 2012, 10:05:03 AM »
As there are relatively few photos in BREAD, this may be exactly how the miche should have turned out... however, I suspect not!

Not sure exactly what went wrong, but I found the dough terribly wet and I think, with hindsight, this may have been one of those occasions to "correct the hydration by adding water or small amounts of flour". Alternatively, my substitute for the high-extraction whole-wheat flour may have been at fault: 45% wholemeal wheat, 40% wholegrain spelt and 15% strong white bread flour.

I may try this again later in the month if I can get a good idea how the rest of you get on. For now, our bin has acquired some new ballast!
My imaginatively self-titled blog: Chris Throup

Offline jefklak

• Nougatbollen dutch cooking blog
Re: Chris's ... well, not sure what it is
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 10:52:41 AM »
Hi Chris,

You may need to recheck the book, there's a picture present but it's not on the same page as the recipe. It looks like this: http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/15532/miche-pointe%C3%A0calli%C3%A8re

I also found the dough to be very wet and I did add some flour but whole wheat. I wouldn't try it with spelt as it contains even less gluten (I think?). Try 85% wholewheat flour but sifted to remove the hardest parts and 15% of your strong bread flour?

Also, how active is your sourdough mother? Does it do well with other breads?

At least you tried :) I love the miche, I think I'll rebake it a lot, there's nothing as cool as baking a 1.8kg low-profile loaf!

Edit: now that I take a closer look at the picture above, that loaf does not look dark at all, even my sifted flour (the Reinhart version I posted) is darker... Weird!

Edit2: someone at thefreshloaf visited Poilâne's bakery in Paris:
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/20738/visit-poilane-paris
including pics. I'd love to go there, it's only a 4 hour drive, added to my wish list haha!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 12:26:04 PM by jefklak »