Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A supersized wholewheat miche  (Read 1171 times)

Offline jefklak

• Nougatbollen dutch cooking blog
A supersized wholewheat miche
« on: April 28, 2012, 06:54:13 AM »
The story is located on my blog: http://nougatbollen.blogspot.com/2012/04/hamelmans-miche-pointe-calliere.html (you can translate on the bottom right using the combobox)

As Mr. Hamelman suggested you can substitute high extraction flour with 90% Wholewheat and some bread flour, I thought, maybe I shouldn't mix anything at all, this flour will do. It was labeled "fine wheat flour" but still quite coarse. Well anyway. It turned out to be 100% wholewheat... Whoops!

So yes it is much darker than it should be and my liquid % has been messed up too. I found it WAY too wet, not a little bit but very very wet. I was almost unable to knead by hand so I added more wholewheat flour (instead of using white, whoops again).

Baked 60 minutes in the oven, came out lovely:

Thanks to my sourdough starter, it managed to leaven the wholewheat 1.8kg big loaf nicely.
I will try this again, I liked the recipe, but I'll mix in more white and maybe a bit rye, why not.

P.S. my scoring skills still suck, using a kitchen knife is not easy, I will order a good lame in the near future.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Re: A supersized wholewheat miche
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 08:07:37 AM »
Nicely done! Whole wheat at 100% is a difficult beast as the bits of bran tend to slice through the gluten strands like a million little knives, causing damage the bread's structure. WW also likes a LOT of water, as the bran and germ soak up a bit more than the endosperm (what most of white flour is made up of).

Don't be afraid to downsize the loaf if you want to. Just convert the weights to grams (ounces X 28.35) and then reduce by whatever you'd like to get down to, 75%, 50% 33%, etc..

Slashing: find a not too expensive "tomato knife" - small knife with scalloped edge. This will do you nicely. Stash it away with your bread stuff, though (so keep it's cover) so it doesn't get used and dulled down doing regular kitchen duties.

(Click to enlarge)
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline jefklak

• Nougatbollen dutch cooking blog
Re: A supersized wholewheat miche
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 02:35:05 PM »
Thanks Paul!
I did sift the flour on my second attempt (see other post). I do like a challenge but did not know what I was doing haha. Well, success is indeed a bad teacher, as I recall you saying somewhere.

I didn't want to downsize it, I thought it was kind of fun to work with so much dough!
By the way, I highly recommend eating fresh goat cheese with some lettuce with this bread. Awesome!