Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is malt really needed for this recipe when cooking?  (Read 867 times)

Offline jefklak

• Nougatbollen dutch cooking blog
Is malt really needed for this recipe when cooking?
« on: April 25, 2012, 12:14:28 AM »
Just wondering. Can you also cook them using baking soda? (Found a recipe on the net claiming that would also work...)
Since I can't find the ingredient anywhere and this weekend is my last chance for the april baking round. I'd like to try them but it looks like a daunting task.

Anyone else still going to bake the bagels?

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Re: Is malt really needed for this recipe when cooking?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 05:37:10 AM »
Malt is usually available (and quite cheaply too) at your local home brewing supply store.

The malt in the water is there to give shine and a little help brown the crust (from the sugar). You could also use honey, brown sugar or corn syrup. Baking soda will give the bagels a bit of "pretzel" flavour so if that appeals to you, go for it.

You have until, let's see... forever to make any of these breads. This is MELLOW bakers, there is no penalty for doing breads as it becomes logical in your personal life to do them. So do not feel there is a cut off date. The monthly breads are monthly just so the group can do them together and share the experiences they had baking them. If you do one later, it's completely fine too. Just as it would be if a bread was skipped completely because it just didn't suit your family's tastes and would never be enjoyed.

HOWEVER, these are pretty darn nice bagels and can easily be topped with a wide variety of seed or toppings. I hope everyone gives these a try, now or sometime later!
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.