Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Le Pain Rustique (or Rustic Bread)  (Read 1308 times)

Offline paulo

• On Board
    • Zine de Pão
Le Pain Rustique (or Rustic Bread)
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:16:50 AM »
Howdy friends,

So, here's late Paulo in late April with his first bread - Le Pain Rustique. I found it a fun bread to work with, the dough with 69% hydration as actually quite easy to work it - I believe it's because of the pate fermenté, it gives strength to the gluten (I think I read that somewhere).

I ended following the recipe quantities although I still believe that the proportions aren't correct (check out my other thread "Recipe Discussion"). Instead of using traditional rye flour, I did use an old swedish rye sort called "Svedjeråg" which kinda looks a lot like whole wheat in color.

The bread did lack flavour as pointed out correctly previously by other fellow bakers but I did like the sponginess of the crumb. I didn't get any big alveoli but that's probably because I was too hard on the dough when shaping it, but still the crumb as airy and nice to eat - something that it's quite a challenge to achieve when using sourdough. As I usually say, yeast can be nice when used in moderate amounts. You definitely get different textures.

I did screw things up in the end, didn't get such a nice scoring and baked them for too long (45 minutes) resulting in a very dark brown crust on the verge of burned - but I actually like bread that way.

Here's the rest of the pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zinedepao/sets/72157629754783411/
My bread baking blog (in Portuguese, but google can help you!): Zine de Pão

Offline jefklak

• Nougatbollen dutch cooking blog
Re: Le Pain Rustique (or Rustic Bread)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:47:03 AM »
And yet you still managed to make great pictures and a jummy looking loaf, regardless of the crust (which doesn't look that bad).
Said before but gonna do it again: I really love your Flickr photostream!

My rustig dough looked a lot darker, maybe the wholewheat flour I've used was too "heavy". (called "wholewheat abbey flour")

Offline paulo

• On Board
    • Zine de Pão
Re: Le Pain Rustique (or Rustic Bread)
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 01:44:51 PM »
And yet you still managed to make great pictures and a jummy looking loaf, regardless of the crust (which doesn't look that bad).
Said before but gonna do it again: I really love your Flickr photostream!

My rustig dough looked a lot darker, maybe the wholewheat flour I've used was too "heavy". (called "wholewheat abbey flour")

I got the best side of it ;) No problem with your darker dough I think, it does depend a lot on the mineral content - here in Europe the TXX, e.g. T80, T150, etc. As I also wrote on the post, this rye that I used does not have the typical rye color, it's far more like wholewheat hence the lighter color. I may have also overoxigenated the dough, I did run it on the mixer for some 12 minutes on first speed and 2-3 on second speed... so... maybe I screwed up a little bit more
My bread baking blog (in Portuguese, but google can help you!): Zine de Pão