Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bread Storage?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline baker_nick

• On Board
Bread Storage?
« on: August 04, 2010, 01:30:58 PM »
not sure if this belongs here, but-

How do you guys store your bread?  Freezer?  What's the process?

So far I've just been letting them sit on the counter.  Don't last very long, lol.  saran wrap doesn't seem to help anything.

Thanks!

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Re: Bread Storage?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 02:10:45 PM »
I keep mine in plastic bags on the counter for a couple of days. I'll also cut a loaf in two or bag the 2nd (and 3rd if applicable) loaf and freeze that if it's going to take longer than 2 days to get through.

Some breads will stale up faster than others, such as the yeast ones, where the sourdough breads tend to last a little longer. This is taken into account in the "bag it or freeze it" decision.

If any ends start to get stale, I cut it up in little cubes and let them dry in a bowl, they become dog treats. Or sometimes croutons.

Alternatively, if you plan on baking bread very regularly, you can always expect to make two or three loaves more than you'll need and give the excess away to friends, neighbours or the local shelter. My neighbours don't seem to mind getting fresh homemade bread dropped off.

Funny, that, no?
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 02:56:11 PM »
For the few loaves that are not immediately stored in my rather large belly, I have neighbors who are quickly catching up.   :snicker:

Seriously, I store my bread tipped up on the cut end on the breadboard, with a drying towel on top.  If it is not going to be eaten in a few days, and if it is a hearty bread that will tolerate storage, I seal it well and it goes in the freezer.  I usually use that for toast, or sometimes for garlic bread.

Truthfully, I try to find ways to use it, or lose it, within a couple of days, since I am getting quite spoiled about bread and prefer eating the 'good stuff'.

Some, um, nameless relatives prefer to store their bread in the refrigerator, and this I cannot abide.  It just ruins the bread, as Hamelman has suggested.    :dang:

Offline baker_nick

• On Board
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 03:53:56 PM »
Great info, thanks!

So, zip-lock bag in the freezer is fine?  what about reviving?

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 04:48:10 PM »
Here's my tuppence worth. If you're going to freeze, then do it as soon as the bread is completely cool, don't leave it another day.  I do overkill (because I am a bit mad  :wot?: yes just a bit)  and wrap bread in paper, the cheap thin sort you get in a large pack when you move house to wrap your dishes in, and then I cling film it (saran wrap) and then freeze it or put the whole lot in a ziplock.  That way you avoid freezer burn on the bread and when it defrosts there is a little something there to absorb the moisture.

To revive. Two different things. One, just leave to defrost, but if you want something fairly close to fresh bread, then the best thing is to put the frozen bread in a hot oven, especially with baguettes. The very worst thing to do is to use the microwave. Or if you are going to microwave, because you are desperately in a hurry, still try to put the poor loaf in the oven for a bit afterwards to recover. To revive slightly stale bread, spritz with water and put in a hot oven, this only works once!  :D

Edited to say: Didn't say how I keep it. In a bread bin. A very fancy breadbin, sometimes loosely wrapped in paper, sometimes cut edge down, rarely in plastic. Depending on what sort it is, it keeps for at least five days, just gets a bit drier, rarely goes mouldy. In fact the only bread that has gone mouldy recently was one which had a lot of cooked whole grain in it.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 08:23:46 AM by Zeb »
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Karin

• Karin´s kitchen
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 12:04:04 PM »
I slice my bread before putting it in the freezer using heavy plastic bags. I usually defrost in the microwave, not the baguettes! If I´m going to eat it right away. If making sandwiches for work I preper them unthawed.
Never, ever use the fridge to store bread!!!!!

Offline Natashya KitchenPuppies

• Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 09:12:50 PM »
I beg the LCBO for paper bags (Paul may be the only one who knows what I am talking about).
They are nice and thick. I store my artisan loaves in them. And the one I am currently eating, I store cut side down on the bread board.
Rolls I put in my cake domes.
If I made a sandwich loaf I might wrap it in plastic. We eat bread fast enough that I don't have to freeze any. Artisan bread should be good for 3 days.

Offline Steve

• burntloafer's blog
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 04:29:31 AM »
I wonder Natashya, if that is the same place I get my brown bottles?   nu-uh