Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: #3: Light Rye Overview  (Read 1048 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
#3: Light Rye Overview
« on: March 30, 2012, 04:51:16 PM »
This Light Rye, similar to what is called Jewish Rye, calls for medium rye flour but you may, if you prefer, use dark rye instead, substituting one for the other equally. You may need a little more water in the sourdough phase if you do make the switch. Dark rye will give the bread a slightly more pronounced flavour.

This bread is found on page 197.

When you are ready to post your bread results, please start a fresh thread in this subsection.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline jefklak

• Nougatbollen dutch cooking blog
Re: #3: Light Rye Overview
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:43:32 PM »
I do have two questions regarding this recipe:

1) The book states "mature sourdough culture", I only have a 100% hydration white wheat sourdough starter. Can I use this culture, or do I need to "convert" it into something else?
2) What is the difference between medium rye and dark rye flour? I can only find "rye flour" in stores which does not state medium/dark.

Thanks!

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Re: #3: Light Rye Overview
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 03:09:50 PM »
Hi Jef,

"Mature" refers to the age of the starter, as in "not totally brand new". Yours will work fine, no need to convert to anything.

Also, when you will see Hamelman asking for 125% hydration starter, don't worry about that either. Since the Home size batches all start with just 30 grams of starter, a 100% starter has just 15 grams of water in it, where a 125% starter would have 18 grams. The 3 gram difference is not worth worrying about in a 1500 gram dough.

Don't worry about the rye, use what you can get your hands on. See http://bit.ly/I9wjUk for details on the differences.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.