Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Paul's Hot Cross Buns  (Read 916 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Paul's Hot Cross Buns
« on: March 18, 2012, 04:31:56 PM »
Thought I'd give these guys a go today. Didn't take much time as I had all the ingredients on hand save the currants (used raisins instead). They stayed in the oven just a wee bit too long as we had just discovered the car had a flat tire and were busy switching that out. Probably a minute or two too many.

Turned out pretty good in spite of that!

I used the Errata version of the cross paste, adjusting the lemon and vanilla to make it a little tastier. Added the flour a bit at a time until I had it at the consistency I wanted. I'm letting them cool now so they get to the "just warm" stage, then will bite into one. I did not, however, add an egg so it's a 'sorta' cross paste. Still worked really well and tastes nice too.

Sure makes the house smell good!

UPDATE:

Deee-licious! This dozen will never see the light of morning.

Don't wait until Easter to make these. Give yourself an excuse that you need to "practice" a few times first. Besides, the cross is simply a division of the bun into four parts, each representing the seasons, so this doesn't need a special holiday to make and share. Is it winter? Cool, one of the sections is "winter", let's have a bun!
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline marilyn

• On Board
    • cook bake learn grow
Re: Paul's Hot Cross Buns
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 11:36:07 AM »
Hi Paul,
this was a good choice for the first bread, enjoyed the results, and will probably make them again for the Easter weekend.
thanks!
marilyn