Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Percentages calculator  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Gene

• On Board
Percentages calculator
« on: May 01, 2010, 10:26:28 PM »
Hi! I've been working on an Excel spreadsheet to calculate my baking percentages. It is not exhaustive by any means. In fact, it is rather rudimentary. I look forward to any comment that would allow me to make it better. Thanks!

Update May 2, 2010: I've attached a revised version.

Update May 6, 2010 (a): I've added some notes & uploaded the new version here [Percentages_rev2.xls].

Update May 6, 2010 (b): Big no-no! I made the mistake of calculating the ingredients other than flour & liquid (that is salt, syrup, butter, etc) as a percentage of the whole loaf instead of as percentage of the flour. So I need to go back to the drawing board. I think the first table that deals with the builds is OK. But the second is definitely not. I have deleted previous versions & am including just the one with the faulty cells indicated in pink.

Update May 7, 2010 (a): New rev. 4 uploaded. I've reworked the faulty cells based on info provided by Tom Moertel on his blog here, which I hope I have not misrepresented.

Update May 7, 2010 (b): Rev. 5 uploaded. Major changes in the formulae. I hope this one works. Feedback & criticisms very welcome. Cheers! Gene

Update May 9, 2010: Rev. 6 uploaded with some additional changes to the formulae.

Update May 11, 2010: Rev. 7 uploaded. With notes. [I've uploaded a few copies of this version. I've kept the same name because there has been no change to the formulae. Only some additional information has been provided. I've also added the date & time of the update.]

Update February 2, 2012: Rev. 8 uploaded. I've been working with the spreadsheet for some time now and have found some errors in a couple of cells. As well, I've revised the calculation of percentages of water to flour in the starter builds.

Update February 3, 2012: Rev. 9 uploaded. I've gotten some very good feedback from the Sourdough Companion website. Member Farinam has brought to my attention some errors in various cells. The errors have now been fixed. If anyone else picks up more errors, kindly leave a comment below and I'll see if I can fix those as well. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 09:39:13 PM by Gene »

Offline Abby

• Stir it! Scrape it! Mix it! Bake it!
Re: Percentages calculator
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 05:37:20 AM »
Wow, I'm definitely not experienced enough to offer any advice, but this looks very cool!

Offline Gene

• On Board
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 09:29:30 AM »
Thanks Abby!

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 12:17:02 PM »
Oh that looks really good.  How do you use it?  Can you change any number anywhere and it recalculates the rest of the formula?  I was just wondering about whether something like this could be written so that one could scale down the quantity of the Hamelman recipes to fit what I want to make i.e. about a 1kg of dough at a time or even just 750 grams as this would suit my oven capacity better and my eating capacity :)

Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Gene

• On Board
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 12:36:31 PM »
Can you change any number anywhere and it recalculates the rest of the formula?

In principle, yes. That was indeed the idea behind creating that spreadsheet. Except where "dry yeast" is concerned. I've not entered any formula for calculation there since some SD bakers just would not use dry yeast at all while others don't mind, but then they have their own idea on how much to use. So in that cell, the quantity of yeast to use (or not = 0) has to be entered manually. From there, the other calculations should be made automatically.

Indeed, the idea of posting the spreadsheet here was that if some of us decide to have a go at it, or perhaps just play around with it online, there will be more of us evaluating it, hence more opportunities for finding mistakes. Working with it on my own, I might be blinded by my own way of doing things (which for now is not very varied, I must say. It's mostly Pain au levain - Milk Bread ... and back to Pain au levain.)

Thanks for your input, Joanna!

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 05:07:12 AM »
I'll have a better look over it this weekend and see if there's any points I can help out with.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline ap269

• Family & Food
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 05:41:40 AM »
I'm afraid I'm not experienced enough in bread baking because the table looked so scientific to me. I didn't really understand it which is definitely my fault. But your idea is cool!
Andrea (ap269)

Family & Food

Offline Gene

• On Board
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 01:37:49 PM »
Thanks Paul and Andrea! I'm sorry, Andrea, for not having added some notes to the calculator. That has now been done. I'm not sure they make the calculator clearer though. Hopefully, Paul and others can chip in and together we can make it better for those of us who are somewhat finicky about such stuff. I do realize that one can bake wonderful breads without the use of calculators. This thing has been submitted to Mellow Bakers partly for fun as well. If it turns out to be useful, that would indeed be 'cool' as you say.

Offline Gene

• On Board
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 11:05:06 PM »
Hi Paul! Sorry to bother you but I've done something stupid such that I no longer have version 2 that contains the notes on the calculator. If it is still on your server, would you mind terribly emailing me a copy? I hope it is possible & look forward to receiving it. I shall then reinsert those in the table. Not to worry if you can't. Just let me know & I shall redo them. Thanks a million!

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 06:48:30 PM »
Hi Gene,

Sorry, I looked and the server removes files that you check as unwanted so there's no copy here. Perhaps someone nabbed a copy before you uploaded new one?
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Gene

• On Board
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 09:54:42 PM »
No problem, Paul. In fact, that is a good thing as I picked other major errors in the previous versions. So the notes might have contained errors as well. I have uploaded the latest version. Fingers crossed, I think it's good. I've tried a couple of recipes & it seems to work. Still I may yet have omitted stuff. We'll see. Thanks for your time in checking your files. I'm most grateful.

Kind regards!

Gene