Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HAMELMAN BREAD: Round TWO - Who's on board?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
HAMELMAN BREAD: Round TWO - Who's on board?
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:59:05 AM »
We will likely be doing a second round of the Hamelman Group Bake as there seems to be interest in this from people who found out about the original too far into the process.

If you are interested in joining a second group, please post here so we can have an idea how many people are interested and who those people may be.

To help get a good members base and make this happen, it would also be excellent if everyone would post on their blogs or bread sites they visit or just let your bread pals know about this so we can get the word out there. More people means more fun and new friends to bake with!

So all you secret lurkers out there, this is your chance to put your hand up and get in at the start!

From the list of new or returning members, we will possibly be choosing (volunteers are even better!) a couple of folk to act as Mods for the journey, as well. This is nothing scary, demanding or terribly difficult but we DO need one or two people to help keep everything moving smoothly: greeting new members, scanning for spammers, making sure each month's breads are listed correctly, etc., so generally just being the "personal face" for Mellow Bakers: Hamelman BREAD).
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Jacqueline

Re: HAMELMAN BREAD: Round TWO - Who's on board?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 05:58:59 PM »
I will probably join in for at least some of the breads that were baked before I joined the forum, as well as many that I missed after moving in 2011. It will be nice to flit back and forth between here and the handmade loaf adventure.

Jacqueline

Offline Naomi

• On Board
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 02:01:22 AM »
I'll be doing several from the BREAD in the beginning, as I was also late to join in for the first bread.

Offline jefklak

• Nougatbollen dutch cooking blog
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 02:59:53 AM »
I'm in! It'll be my first time.
I'd love to learn more about sourdough and making a starter,  I've never tried something like that before. Really looking forward to it.

I hope a lot of nice recipes will be picked (including ciabatta, made it before but wasn't that great). By april we will live inside our new house with a new oven, so time to put that thing to the ultimate test.
How will the recipes be picked?

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 06:32:39 AM »
Hi Jef,

For starters: If you're looking to make your own sourdough starter but haven't done it before, I would recommend the method I show on my blog site: Starter from Scratch.

We will have a sourdough based bread in the April set of breads so it would be a good thing to look into getting yourself a starter going shortly so it has time to 'mature' a little before you use it. Typically, a brand new from-scratch starter won't be really set up for maybe 10 - 14 days, and can sort of rely on it to rise bread even if it's flavour and strength are pretty weak.

Then it should be 2 or 3 weeks more before it's settled and can be considered a solid but young starter you can use in bread confidently. Regular use and feeding for another few months will get it to a good, mature stage where all it's flavours are nicely developed and it is fully dependable. Over more time, it's particular characteristics will come through as well as your own ability to work with it and know what it gives you.

All that said, you have time now to work up a new starter from scratch and be good to use it in April.

Alternatively, you can also buy starter flakes from places online like Sourdo.com who will send you a little bag of flaked starter that you reconstitute. The bonus there is that you don't need to go through the week or two of "building" a culture from scratch, you just have to re-activate an already set culture. This typically takes three to five days but then you're good to go with a pretty well mature starter.

OR you may know someone near you who has a sourdough culture and who will give you a small bit of it. That's even faster than any other method since you're basically beginning with starter that's already well aged and dependable.

"I hope a lot of nice recipes will be picked"...

Well, we'll be doing ALL the recipes in Hamelman's BREAD so if you have the book and check out the recipes in there, at some point we will get to each and every one of them.

How are the recipes picked? They were already picked for the FIRST round of breads which we began in March of 2010 with the Hot Cross Buns, our first bread here too. The rest were selected by a random script and hand tweaked since the random sets sometimes had too many of one type of bread in a set. But the order is already selected, we'll just be bringing them out as we go along.

Now some months we'll have MORE than three breads because some breads in the book have a few variations, such as the Vermont Sourdough; there are actually three variations of that bread. We group those and count them as "one" of the months bread so people can pick which style they want to do and still have two other breads to choose. 

What we'll be doing here for the SECOND round, is pulling the old discussions for each month's breads back out into the public space (they're all still here, just hidden away). So next time (April) when we introduce the breads for that month, we'll add the ARCHIVES section for the April breads with all the previous posts about those breads. Check out the current section for the March bread: you'll see a place for new people to post their current baking of Hot Cross Buns, and the post made by the original bake group for the buns as well.

This way everyone gets the benefit of seeing the earlier breads and where people had questions, what they did, what worked great, and other useful tips.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

Offline jefklak

• Nougatbollen dutch cooking blog
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 12:39:38 PM »
Thanks for the information and blog link Paul, I've already looked at your excellent blog fully dedicated to bread baking, I'm sure it'll come in handy during the following months!

I've also tried to inspire colleagues and my father to join our cause and so far succeeded to get one person excited - not a lot but I'm doing all I can. There are not many people I know who like to cook, let alone bake their own bread. Some people use bread baking machines but don't want to go to the hassle to try out new things or knead by hand - which is a real shame. Well, their loss.

I've already marked my calendar so I'm all set. I'll order the book within two weeks after we've moved and I'll try to create a starter.
My father always baked his bread himself and I think (pretty sure) I've got that interest from him, but we always baked relatively "simple" yeast breads. I really hope he'll be excited too so we can taste each other's creations.

Edit:
I've read all your posts on the starter, great job in explaining it so well!
I do have one question though:
- I assume you refrigerate the starters since day 7. Do you still feed them twice a day with 1:2:2 ratio or is once a day enough? What happens if you forget to do so one time?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:34:19 PM by jefklak »

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 04:42:50 PM »
Good to hear you're recruiting effort is under way!

To your starter question:

I'm going to copy the question and post the response right on the blog here since that’s where much of the starter discussion has been happening.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

Offline charliez

• On Board
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 06:54:23 PM »
I am definitely in!!  Paul, thanks so much for setting this up this, way.  It is great to have both challenges in the same place at the same time!
Saludos,

Carlos

Offline cheesehappens

• Cheese Happens: Making Cheese - And Jobs - In The City Of Baltimore
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 06:52:16 AM »
Hello from downtown Baltimore City and count me in. I owned a scratch (of course) bakery and restaurant for 13 years, then returned to my "real life" in housing and community development - - oy, no need to explain what happened next. So now I am working towards opening a downtown kosher organic creamery and bakery. After baking almost everything in "Bread," the highlight of last summer was a three day baking class at King Arthur Flour with Jeffrey Hamelman and James MacGuire. An unexpected pleasure was learning from fellow students of EVERY experience level. I've a handful of favourites among Jeff's breads that I bake on a rotating basis every Sunday and am looking forward to baking these and re-visiting others in the company of fellow Mellow Bakers. When will the schedule be posted? Thanks so much for organizing this.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 10:17:18 AM »
Cheese,

Welcome to the board!

Baking with Jeffrey himself would indeed have been an awesome experience, I'm sure. Bet you took in a ton of great info.

The first bread people will get working on is the Hot Cross Buns for March, which has already been posted. We will then put out the next month's Three Selected Breads from different sections (see Part Two in the book's index). These are posted the last week of each month. The full list is kept "secret" just for fun and the surprise factor.

That has not, however, stopped the previous round's bakers from doing breads out of order; they just hold off posting their pictures until that particular bread pops up on the list. And this is, of course, perfectly fine. We're MELLOW, after all. Most people who had made the breads on their own just re-made the breads as they showed up, or skipped them and worked on the other two. Again, we're MELLOW here, so pretty much what works for you is fine by us.

Since you note you've already done many of the breads, how you want to move through is entirely up to you and what works for your own situation; re-do your faves or those you think could improve with a second go, post the originals (if you have the photos) or the link to them on your blog, or skip those you've tried but just didn't make your Best Breads list. As long as it works for you and you enjoy sharing what you can with the other members, everything is perfect.

Some months we'll have more than three breads, such as the month with the Vermont Sourdoughs for example. The varieties are considered just "one" of that month's breads. Some people may choose to pick one variety to bake, others choose to make all three. Doing the other two regular bread selections for that month is also an option.

The March bread is only one style because what we're doing is reworking the previous round of breads and way back, we began with just the one bread to get people together, give us time to promote before getting into the flow and give members a bit of a feel for (and test the then-new) process.

Also, I'm off to Paris in March to attend the Europain World Bread Exhibition so I'm actually not around for most of the month. (We'll be meeting Hamelman, Reinhart and a few other 'big name' types while we're there.)

Come April, though, we're full steam ahead with the normal set of breads.

So this gives everyone here a chance to also help get as many new bread-head pals to come join in. Mention the group in the online spaces you visit because the more people we have join in, the better the discussions are and the more fun everyone will have baking with other bread fanatics from around the world.

Anyone who wants to jump ahead and give those Hot Cross Buns a go now are also welcomed to do so. Just navigate to the "#1 Hot Cross Buns" section and post your results. And don't worry, if you want to make a second batch sometime in early April (Easter is April 8th this year), no one will complain having to 'get rid of them' for you.
Paul
Yumarama Blog