Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Poll

Are you joining us for the Handmade Loaf Adventure?

Absolutely! Can't wait to get going! (Even if I don't do *every* bread)
9 (69.2%)
Thinking about it... Not totally decided yet.
3 (23.1%)
Sorry, I'm gonna step out for this one. But I'll visit and cheer you on!
1 (7.7%)
No, this book just doesn't do it for me.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: February 28, 2012, 04:52:45 PM

Author Topic: Handmade Loaf: Let's count hands!  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Lien

• Notitie van Lien (Lien's notes)
Re: Handmade Loaf: Let's count hands!
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 06:23:05 AM »
Even though I wanted to participate in this challenge, I've now decided against it.

I've been asked to remove two (adapted) recipes from my blog that I've published a while back, by David Whitehouse. Apparently my blog has been brought to his attention (maybe through the MB?). He seems to be afraid that people won't buy the book if there are recipes published. I wasn't planning on publishing any recipes for this challenge (as I haven't for Hamelman).
Any blogger knows that seeing and being able to try recipes ou, only makes you want to buy the book, so I think he's wrong. But is was a kind request and I removed the two recipes.

But I'm not feeling OK with it to bake for the Mellow bakers, and advertising to buy this book in this way, after this to be honest. So count me out. noway

Offline Natashya KitchenPuppies

• Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »
For the same reasons as Lien, I am hesitant to do Lepard's book.

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 08:57:59 AM »
Naomi I haven't seen the US edition of the Handmade Loaf. The UK version is all in grams with small weights like salt and dried yeast in teaspoons and tablespoons.  If someone has the US version would they advise Naomi please whether it has cups.

Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 10:41:23 AM »
Naomi, the American version looks to have both cups and grams (although some things go by ounces and grams).

Lien & Natashya: Sorry to read you aren't comfortable with Dan's request to not reprint the recipes.

I know that Hamelman's stance that he wasn't as concerned with the occasional reworking was nice and suited some of our blog styles well.

As a group, however, if we have chosen to bake The Handmade Loaf, it should pretty much follows that we need to understand and accept that Dan feels a bit differently on this reposting issue and hopefully respect him as an excellent baker and an author we think of highly enough to want to do his entire book.

OK: Speaking from a strictly personal perspective (meaning I'm taking off my official MellowBakers hat here), I think that baking through the book will have more value and far outweigh the ability to post the recipes online. To me at least, it's enough to simply point people to the book (having been asked for recipes countless times, as we likely all have been) where they can then learn a whole lot more from the entire work then they might have from a one-off recipe.

Balancing this issue, however, is the fact that the book is easily available to most everyone, it's really not arduously expensive, Dan has several web based resources for people to get lots of recipes (his Guardian articles, his personal website with forums and blog) so it's not like he's trying to NOT have people get free access to his stuff. This current point deals explicitly with a published book from which he expects to make an income and I think that's a valid, reasonable stance.

I'll note here that in the case of already published-online-by-the-author recipes, such as Mike Avery's Sourdough Bagels, this changes things a bit: the recipe is already available online with the author's blessing, and I also make a point of directing people back to the original source.  But that's simply what I do, not what I expect everyone else to.

Still I can appreciate that this request isn't suitable to you and you have decided you won't be baking along (or at least doing so in this Group Bake setup) and I'd be truly sad to see you bow out. Whatever you decide to do, I fully and truly respect your viewpoints, just as I respect Dan's.

Vive la difference, as they say!

And lastly:

But... really? No, please... don't leave!  :weep:
He's not really out of line to ask that, is he? :(
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Natashya KitchenPuppies

• Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 03:31:26 PM »
I always rewrite the recipe in my way, often making changes to steps and ingredients anyway. (Unless it is already published online and easily available to all). And I do believe that bloggers are huge champions of cookbooks and are the reason that cookbooks sell so well, far better than any other kind of book.

I was contemplating just playing along on the site and not posting the breads to my own blog - I get mail any time I post without a recipe. People wonder why I would just show a picture of food and not tell how to make it. But I guess that is just what they expect from me after all these years.

But I don't think I would feel as committed doing it that way. What I love about bake-throughs is that I am forced to make everything I would normally skip over. And I have loved everything I have learned here with you guys. xoxoxo

Offline Naomi

• On Board
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 12:00:37 PM »
I ordered the book from bookdepository (free worldwide delivery). They didn't have the UK version, and I'm more comfortable with grams, so I hope it won't be a big turnoff to get the US version...
Anyway, once the book gets here (= Israel) I'll be ready to go!

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 12:14:27 PM »
The US version does have grams for everything so you'll be fine. The 'oddity' is that there's (also, next to the grams) some things in cups and other things in ounces.

Example picked at random: Page 64

1 1/2 oz (40g) whole-wheat grains plus water to cover (10%) - [% is bakers' percentage]
3/4 cup (110g) wheatgerm (25%)

So wether it's volume or imperial weight, both have grams.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

Offline Lien

• Notitie van Lien (Lien's notes)
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 06:13:15 AM »
Finally found this topic back... your work on the new forum really paid off Paul, looks terrific!!!

I just wanted to say in respons to your answer on me not baking along this time.
Let me clear at first: The reason is NOT that he asked us not to publish the recipes, I don't think that is out of line of him to ask that from a group bakers that bake the entire book. I haven't published the Hamelman recipes either (except one) for that same reason, out of respect.

It has to do with the fact that Dan's manager David, made me remove two recipes that I published (adapted! and translated in dutch). (Don't know why I was singled out either) That wouldn't be a disaster either, if it weren't that we as the Bread Baking Babes group had permission to bake and publish this one particular recipe from Mr. Lepard himself, when we started baking it. (BTW the whole recipe (dan's garlic bread) is published by himself on the internet, so it's not a secret anyway!)

Now this manager tells me that I was wrong in my understanding as it wasn't supposed to be on any blog indefinitely.  ??? I'm not going into a discussion with him any further, but I don't think that's fair in any way.

THAT is why I won't bake along and make the book/recipes look good in the process, a matter of principle.

I wish you all happy baking anyway and thanks for the Hamelman-experience together!!

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 06:58:05 AM »
Hi Lien,

Thanks for letting us see a bit more of the reasons for your choice. I wasn't aware of the background details here but I did and do fully respect your decision, even if I had no clue at the time what brought you to them. In other words, unconditional support!  :thumbup:

Feel free to pop in and see how we're all doing, I know you've made a few of the breads before so if you have any insights or tips to share with us there, don't hesitate. Remember: We be mellow!

So what new project are you looking to tackle, having now finished Hamelman Round 1?
Paul
Yumarama Blog