Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: High-gluten flour?  (Read 5170 times)

Offline Jacqueline

High-gluten flour?
« on: January 16, 2012, 07:57:53 PM »
Two of the January 2012 breads (the five-grain levain and the semolinas) call for high-gluten flour. It's not something I've seen in the supermarket, and I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a brand or supplier in Canada. I have seen packets of 'vital wheat gluten'. Could this be added to normal strong bread flour to make a sort of high-gluten flour? And if so, how much?

All intelligence welcome...

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Re: High-gluten flour?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:03:28 PM »
Yes, you can add Vital Wheat Gluten (VWG) to your regular flour to increase it's gluten level since High Gluten Flour isn't readily available here. In the US, they can get it as Sir Lancelot High Gluten flour from King Arthur and I expect they have other sources for HG flour as well. Not so for us up here. But VWG is, such as Bulk Barn or some grocery stores that carry an extensive line of Bob's Red Mill products.

About 6% of the flour's weight should be switched out for VWG to bump your bread flour (normally ~13%) up to the desired 14%.

So a recipe that needed, say, 477g HG flour (I'm pulling that number right out of the air) you would reduce that by 6% so...
477g - 29 = 448g Bread Flour
and then add that 29g back as VWG.

It basically works out as one Tbsp per cup of flour, the recommendation from the Bob's Red Mill bag. In that case, take a cup of flour, remove 1 Tbsp and add 1 Tbsp VWG. But this doesn't help us since we don't do cups.

1/16 = 6.25% (16 tablespoons per cup)

Now it's not exactly the same as HG flour but it's a good approximation. Works great for bagels too.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Jacqueline

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 12:03:52 AM »
Thanks Paul! That's extremely helpful. My local supermarket has a big range of the Bob's Red Mill stuff, so it should be no problem to get the VWG there. Looking forward to trying it out on the Five Grain.

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 07:03:39 PM »
Nearly all the high gluten flour that we get here in England (usually called very strong bread flour) is sourced from Canada.The one I can get in the supermarket locally is known as 'Canadian Very Strong' it says that it is  15% protein and made from Canadian Red Spring Wheat and it is the strongest flour I have ever used.

In Italy it is known as Manitoba flour :) I know that doesn't really help you with your question Jacqueline,  but I am surprised that it is difficult to get hold of, but I know that Paul knows far more than me about the availability of flours in Canada  :bow: unless it's like Denmark exporting all its bacon to the UK and not keeping any at home?

best to you , Joanna
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Jacqueline

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 11:15:50 PM »
It's interesting, isn't it: I remember the 'Canadian Very Strong' from when I lived in London (UK, not Ontario), yet the bread flour available in your actual typical British Columbia supermarket makes no such claims - it's just 'Bread flour'. Not even 'strong'. My experience of it so far is that it's fine bread flour and bakes up much like the equivalent Australian product. Definitely not noticeably stronger, though...

I have much to learn about speciality flours in Canada! Just a matter of finding the right shop.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 07:09:36 AM »
Since you're in Victoria: Ask people at work if they have a membership to Costo (buying club) and can take you or pick you up a 20k bag of Rogers' "Silver Star" Bread flour - it's about $13.

You can also pick up 10k bags of Rogers Bread Flour at island grocery store such as Country Grocers, Quality Foods. Save-On only has the small 2.5k bags (and they are an expensive store).

See RogersFoods.com, they also have a list of stores that sell their products.
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.