Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Poll

Which book would you like to do next? Pick one or two:

Baking Artisan Pastries and Bread - Cyril Hitz
4 (23.5%)
Flatbreads & Flavours - Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid
2 (11.8%)
The Hand Made Loaf - Dan Lepard
5 (29.4%)
Artisan Baking Across America
3 (17.6%)
Bourque Street Bakery
3 (17.6%)
Not a book, but something else (please explain)
0 (0%)
Bowing out altogether (please explain)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: December 25, 2011, 04:26:24 PM

Author Topic: POLL: What next?  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
POLL: What next?
« on: November 25, 2011, 03:16:19 PM »
In the order previously discussed, here are the current contenders for possible Mellow Bakers books.

If you would prefer something else than following a book (i.e. choosing "Bread(s) of the Month") please detail what you think it might look like in your post.

Likewise, if you think you'll want to bow out, please share your reason (takes too long, not enough variety, etc.) so we can perhaps tweak the goals to suit more people who have reservations as well - I'd rather find out what isn't working and try to fix it than never know what people really think because they want to be nice and not point out issues.

Each member can check off TWO options. Please consider adding your reasoning for your selection in a post if you wish.

Here are some further details on the choices listed:

A) Baking Artisan Pastries and Bread - Cyril Hitz

30 recipes, $17 from Amzon.com, $25 for a signed copy from Chef Hitz himself. Includes CD.

B) Flatbreads & Flavours - Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid

~150 recipes, about $15 from Amazon. Various types of recipes (bread, side dishes, etc.).

C) The Hand Made Loaf - Dan Lepard

80+ recipes (so like Hamelman's BEAD, it would take nearly 2 years to get through)

D) Artisan Baking Across America - Maggie Glezer (soft or hard cover)

E) Bourque Street Bakery -  Paul Allam & David McGuiness

81 mixed recipes, 23 breads and 58 various pastries. ~$59 used on Amazon.com

F) Something Else: Doing a whole book from top to bottom isn't the only way to group bake, just one. There are other systems and we can emulate and/or come up with our own twist on these. If something like this interests you more, choose this option and give some details on what you'd prefer to see. You can still pick another option as a second choice.  this choice would also cover "Let's do the decorative stuff for a bit" option, just include that in your post.

G) Bowing Out: Maybe you found the process too laborious, the 80+ recipes too long or daunting or not interesting or varied enough and Mellow Bakers, as it is/was, isn't the right fit for your baking bug. PLEASE don't hold back, post your thoughts on what you found bothersome or just didn't get you involved enough. This way, we can try to adjust the way we will proceed to hopefully  appeal to more people. You will not be judged but rather thanked for your frankness and suggestions.

If anyone has more ideas and suggestions of other things we can do, please post those here as well.

This poll will continue for 30 days from Nov. 25th, hopefully long enough to get a good feel of the interests of the current members.

Every member is welcomed to cast their votes. I would need to see a decent amount of participation in this selection process to move ahead to the next phase, however.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 04:27:51 PM by Paul »
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
Re: POLL: What next?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 09:28:48 AM »
I've updated the Handmade Loaf  description to add that it has 80+ recipes so it will need around 2+ years to get through.

Just pointing out the potential length of that project...
Paul
Yumarama Blog

Offline Sloan

• On Board
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 09:42:30 AM »
The price for the Bourke Street Bakery book (~$59) is for a paperback copy.  You can get a hardcover copy for about half that.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 05:06:52 PM »
Good catch, sloan!

I just checked Amazon.com again and note that the Bourke Street Bakery hardcover is available for $29.86 from "other sellers" and, over in the UK, it's running about £15.75 and a bit less for used.

There's also a "Look Inside!" tab on the UK site and I see it has the following content:

BREADS
    basics & techniques (14 pages)
    starters
    sourdough
    derivative breads
    yeasted breads
    olive oil breads
PASTRIES
    basics & techniques (20 pages)
    croissants and danishes
    pies and saussage rolls
    tarts
MORE SWEETS
    cakes and biscuits
    deserts

The above looks suspiciously like the breakdown of my current Professional Bread Baking and Pastry Arts course.  :snicker:
Paul
Yumarama Blog

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 06:59:24 PM »
 I am baking gently along with Dan Lepard's new book Short & Sweet with a loose Twitter based group hashtag #shortandtweet at the moment.

So I probably won't join in if you decide to do the wonderful Hand Made Loaf as I have baked loads from that one already. I kind of ran out of puff the last few months with Bread, not sure why, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Though I did bake the sourdough seed bread today!

Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline chocveg

• On Board
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 06:49:40 PM »
Hi, I have enjoyed this challenge immensly over the months, even tho I started late, and have not been very good at posting my comments, esp not good with pics! (I'm probably a semi-invisible follower, but it is all going on here!)     I am now 2 months behind as kitchen wall being knocked down, but I will carry on and do at least one from each month.  It did challenge me to make things I never would have, which is good and fun!  I bake bread once a week, and need some practical loaf for daily bread, and then other fun baking gets fitted in, so even tho it would be good to do something different like a pastry challenge, my priority is still bread (and also have Short & Sweet to get through!).
Thanks to everyone for their helpful posts and lovely pics! & hope to continue with something!
Chocveg

Offline sgratch

• GeraintBakesBread
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 05:00:24 PM »
I seem to have missed the 'What Next' poll, but am very happy to continue in a mellow way with "The Handmade Loaf" (or whatever). I've done quite a few recipes from THL already, but there many more I look forward to trying.

I'd still like to work my way back through the last few months, and all the other 'Bread' breads I've missed over the years!

I hope this forum will continue well into the future as I've found it a very welcoming & inspiring place since I first came across it.

Offline Jacqueline

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 08:29:11 PM »
Just wanted to back up what others have said: first: this is a great forum and I've really enjoyed it. though I've slacked off lately, it made me bake a lot of breads I normally wouldn't and learn a great many new techniques that have helped my general baking enormously (e.g., the Detmolders).

Second: I'd love to bake through another book. Pastry and related products are great but my day-to-day focus is bread. That is, this is what I make and eat and give to others. A cake/danish/etc here and there is fine but I'd prefer to focus on baking through a mostly-bread publication.

Thanks to all, Jacqueline

Offline Natashya KitchenPuppies

• Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 06:18:42 AM »
So it is decided then? We are doing The Handmade Loaf? When do we start?
I am going to be doing the Flatbread and Flavours book too, slowly. Just because I really want to.

Offline Paul

• Administrator
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 07:19:52 AM »
Hey there.

OK, so we have a top pick (by one vote) of The Handmade Loaf getting five votes (six counting sgratch).

Is six enough people to move ahead with this?

Who's on board here and now for the 2 year road trip? (84 recipes, 3/month = 28 months) That, as we've seen, is a pretty long commitment.

Can we dig up more people? Who can make noise elsewhere to drum up interest? We would need to get out there and bang the proverbial drum some and get a fair number of new members who will also need to have the book.

Here a possible suggestion:

We start the book in April, giving us lots of time to drum up interest and for those who don't own it yet, get their copy plus take a wee break.

Come April, we see how much interest there is and how many people want to get in on it. If we have a decent turn out, we get the recipes all lined up as we did with BREAD and start baking. If we can't get enough people (I'd say 12 minimum, we KNOW people will drop out over time) and a couple more willing to be moderators/admins, we can start the next round. This will mean we can expect to finish around this time in 2014.

Does this sound good to everyone interested? I'll open a new thread and everyone who is wanting to "sign on" to The Handmade Loaf (which we can refer to as "HML" for short) can pop a post in there and officially toss their hat in the proverbial ring.

Any other ideas or suggestions? Anyone have contact with other baking groups where this (once we've all agreed on the beginning process, of course) can be announced?

I've also done a Google search to see if is or ever had been a HML baking group and I've found none. I'm guessing this would be more likely in the UK as this is Dan Lepard's main stomping ground so if anyone there can sniff around and see if we are indeed the first to do it, we can use that as a draw.

And if anyone who has contact with Mr Lepard themselves might be up to letting him know we're aiming to do this, that would be cool too.

Paul
Yumarama Blog