Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Geraint's Black Bread  (Read 968 times)

Offline sgratch

• GeraintBakesBread
Geraint's Black Bread
« on: August 26, 2011, 08:17:46 AM »
I'm not sure about this bread. I don't think I did it full justice this time around, so I might give it another go sometime.

I mix by hand and this dough is just a sticky mess to knead but I think I managed to develop the gluten to the required degree. I could have done with some pointers as to how much the dough should rise in bulk and final proof. I gave it 55mins bulk and 1hr 20mins final proof.

My original plan was to bake this in a tin, but at the last minute decided to use a banneton. I was worried about sticking, so used too much flour when shaping & in the form: the dough seemed quite dry & stiff after bulk fermentation. I wasn't sure whether to slash, and forgot anyway, so it cracked in a few irregular places; also it was probably underproofed. With the over-dusted surface and the odd crack here and there, it's an unattractive loaf, more grey than black. I could have baked it a bit hotter at the start I think.

I didn't cut it for two days. The flavour was complex and interesting, but the coffee aftertaste was a bit persistent & the grounds too apparent - a bit like when you get a sip of the sediment from the bottom of a coffee cup. I used coffee ground for cafetiere, but next time I would use espresso grind.

After another two days, the coffee flavour has mellowed a bit. I'm still not sure if I like this bread, the taste is so different, but I'm definitely intrigued by it. It's the local Farmers' Market tomorrow, so I'll pick up some goats' cheese that I think will go really well with it.

more photos

Offline Natashya KitchenPuppies

• Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
Re: Geraint's Black Bread
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 09:21:15 AM »
Looks good! Glad you braved the loaf, even if you weren't too sure about it.  :clap: