Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rye starters  (Read 1466 times)

Offline sarabclever

• On Board
    • Three Clever Sisters
Rye starters
« on: July 18, 2011, 09:12:05 AM »
Hi all, I've made rye starters from scratch a few times with much success--I find it far easier than wheat.  That being said, I can't handle having several starters going at a time in the fridge.  I love rye bread but don't bake it enough.  My question is whether I can use a wheat starter to make my initial "build" for a rye recipe.  Well, there's no reason I can't (as I've learned with bread you can do whatever you want with this stuff, it's just that it might not turn out as the bread you are intending to make; but rather something else!)

Offline sarabclever

• On Board
    • Three Clever Sisters
Re: Rye starters
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 09:15:17 AM »
I just noticed Hamelman's letter reposted in the prior discussion (stiff v. sour) and he says you can just maintain one.  so I guess I answered my own question.  Still, I'm curious if people have noticed a difference between a pure rye starter or just using the wheat one.

I note that I just figured out that I can use my liquid starter to create a stiff build wheat starter.  What a great discovery!  (If not, I'd have to have 3 starters going, no way!)

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
Re: Rye starters
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 02:02:15 PM »
Hi Sarabclever  I think you have answered your own question, but just to tell you what I do I have two little jars that I keep less than 100 grams of my two starters in. So they don't require much input from me if they are in the fridge. I feed the rye once a week even if I am not baking with it, so that's 50 g of flour and 50 g of water a week.  They do smell different, the rye is fruity and the white (wheat) starter is more acetic/vinegary/youghurty.  I have tried feeding the white with rye and vice versa as an experiment and they both sulked a bit, so I have just carried on the same way. But lots of people only keep one starter so the answer is to do what works for you!  Best, Joanna
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes