Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: goodbye and hello  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Jacqueline

goodbye and hello
« on: May 30, 2011, 06:29:49 AM »
Hi there Mellow Bakers,

A quick note to say, first, thank you very much for a wonderful few months of baking with you lot. I have enjoyed every minute of it! And I look forward to the fourth and final quarter of Bread over the next few months. (As well as baking my way through the 1st quarter backlog).

Second, goodbye for a few months, since I'm leaving Australia for a job in Canada at the beginning of July (specifically, Vancouver Island in British Columbia). Thus, for the next few months I'll be a) temporarily homeless (till I find somewhere to rent), b) without all my baking gear (till it arrives on a Very Slow Ship) from Oz, and c) without my starter (till I resolve (a) and make a new one). But I will be reading and keeping up, and will rejoin with the baking as soon as possible!

All the very best and happy baking  :)

Jacqueline

Offline Natashya KitchenPuppies

• Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
Re: goodbye and hello
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:22:42 AM »
I love Vancouver Island, so beautiful! Have a wonderful (temporary?) move, hopefully low-stress.
Keep us up to date with your adventure!

Natashya (Canadian - Ontario)

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 05:14:32 PM »
Welcome to the Island! It's lovely here and I'm sure you'll find it amazing!

Don't forget to dry some of your starter to A) take some along and B) have some back to start back up when you return.

When you do get here, you can drop into the local Costco and buy a bag of Rogers' No Additives Unbleached All Purpose to bake with. $13 for a 25kg bag, last time I looked. Or buy the same in smaller quantities in almost any grocery store ($7 for 10kg at Country Grocer). You'll do well with it.

(Store size; bulk is in plain brown bags)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:34:13 PM by Paul »
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Jacqueline

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 05:55:32 PM »
Thanks! Great to get flour tips  :) I'll be there for a couple of years, so I look forward to getting to know the local flour/bakeries  :)

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:28:56 AM »
Bon Voyage!  Stay in touch and let us know when you get there and how it goes!  Joanna  :D
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Jacqueline

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 09:59:06 PM »
hello Mellow Bakers! I'm getting settled here, have a new starter in its infancy, have worked out which flour to buy, and most importantly, my scales and copy of Bread have arrived. So I'm almost ready to get back into baking. Depending on the vivacity of the starter, hopefully I'll join you for the October Breads.

All the best, Jacqueline

Offline Paul

• Administrator
  • Baking tons... but at work.
    • Yumarama Bread Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 12:10:29 AM »
So how are you liking Victoria and the summer weather so far? Just starting to cool off now, so get used to the somewhat grey skies! Expect a couple of days of snow sometime in January or February, maybe. It'll come and be gone in a flash so take pictures!

Feel free to jump in again at any point we've already covered, lots of recipes we've done won't need a starter so let that baby develop well and bake a few back dated loaves in the meantime!

See you and your breads soon, in any case!
Paul
Yumarama Blog

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Offline Jacqueline

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 12:26:04 AM »
Hi Paul, yep, Victoria's great! I live really near the sea and have been swimming quite a lot in lakes, rivers, and the ocean- brief ocean swims, when I can't feel my feet and hands anymore it's time to get out :) Definitely hoping for lots of snow this winter, because it's very exciting for Australians. In the meantime I look forward to getting started on the bread backlog.
Cheers,
Jacqueline