Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Joanna's Hazelnut, Fig, Rosemary and Sweet Cecily Bread  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
Joanna's Hazelnut, Fig, Rosemary and Sweet Cecily Bread
« on: May 03, 2011, 01:14:44 PM »
I really liked this bread, with its contrasting textures and aromatic flavours and I'm not that keen on breads with too much stuff going on in them usually, but unlike the other one with the fennels seeds, this time I used the seeds of a herb I grow in the garden called sweet cecily and it worked well for me. I also baked this in a closed pot as I didn't want a big chewy crust, something I tend to get with wholewheat breads. It worked like a charm, though I am never quite convinced by the shape the pot gives to the sides of the bread, it looks a bit cake shaped to me, but the steam trapped inside the pot works wonders on both crust and crumb and I must remember to do this more often. I increased the quantities of figs and nuts as I thought they looked a bit mean and I was pleased that I did. 

Blog Post Here
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Natashya KitchenPuppies

• Living in the Kitchen with Puppies
Re: Joanna's Hazelnut, Fig, Rosemary and Sweet Cecily Bread
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:06:30 PM »
Absolutely beautiful. And what a stunning garden! Ours are just starting to wake up in Canada.

Offline Zeb

• Global Moderator
    • Zeb Bakes
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 01:14:14 AM »
Aw thanks Natashya - the garden is running away into summer, and there's a cold wind blowing behind that sunshine... there may be tears and frost to come yet - foolish plants  :whistle:

I love this bread - delicious and as husband hates figs, I have it all to myself !  :snicker:
Joanna @ Zeb Bakes

Offline Joanne_

• My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 07:00:53 PM »
What a absolutely great picture!  I am thinking of going back and doing this bread, mostly because the 3 listed for this month are either hard to do with 100% whole wheat or have rye chops in them.  It made me think, well why not go back and see what I have missed! 

Couple questions though, if I don't have fennel seeds would it be worth the expense to buy some or will the rosemary be enough?  I will probably still do the Pain Rustique, just with whole wheat.  Not sure how to compensate for the lack of rye chops though!
--
Joanne
I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.     Martha Washington (17