SERIOUS ISSUES TO PONDER - Please Read & Respond.

Forum specific info, updates and news about how the place works
Paul
Site Admin

Re: SERIOUS ISSUES TO PONDER - Please Read & Respond.

Postby Paul » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:30 pm

Thanks everyone for your considered input.

Seems most everyone, even if willing to switch over, are quite happy to do the book as is, so that's the road we'll go regardless of any support issues.

A couple of points to clarify on things people have brought up:

I absolutely agree that Dan can and should run his website as he sees fit. That wasn't actually my point; I was just noting that all mention of THIS book (and all discussion regarding his Guardian recipes as well) have bee deleted from view. This indicates to me he is seriously backing away from his previous efforts and focussing strictly on the new book. Again, that's fine and I don't argue he can't do so.

What has happened, however, is that now there is no resource available from the main source around these recipes. An odd thing is that they're been completely removed, not just have those forums locked so they can only be read and not posted to. One way leaves the info available without allowing endless discussion (and after some 8 years, I can see he'd be getting mighty tired of talking about this book). I would call that a neutral action. The other way actively removes access to that previously available info. That's a somewhat more stern message than the first option.

But in the end, it's up to us to forge through no matter what, even if Dan no longer cares to talk about THL and would prefer all his focus to now be on Short & Sweet.

So typos or errors or not, off we go, full steam ahead! We'll hopefully do the whole journey without needing too much help navigating the rougher waters.

So as long as everyone's on board for the full trip, we're good to go. All we need now is as many hands on deck as possible. Let's get the word out we're on our way so others who might like the voyage can come along. The more the merrier! Spread the word far and wide, mateys!

(Ok, I'll stop the bad sailing references here.)
Paul
When you think about it, all galaxies are far, far, away.

garlicbuddha

Postby garlicbuddha » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi Paul,

you make some good points here. Is it worth contacting Dan to ask if there are any significant errors in the recipes provided that have come to light since the publication of the book?

i am please that we are sticking with this book though... can't wait to try some of these breads... Thanks Paul for organising this group.

Ray

kbird

Postby kbird » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:21 pm

Hello

I haven't introduced myself yet but will do so when I've a spare moment. I'm jumping in here as I read this thread and thought I could add a little to the discussion.

I am aware that there have been issues over plagiarism on food sites in the UK, not only of Dan's work but others as well. Personally I have kept out of it but I can see the point of view of authors / cooks / bakers who earn their daily crust by publishing their knowledge only for it to be effectively stolen. It is a difficult area and little is clear cut but I have seen examples on the web that are certainly, to me at least, wrong.

Whatever the reasons, decisions regarding Dan's website are up to him to make. Whether some of the content is restored in a different way on his site we can hope for but I do believe that the current situation makes it more important than ever that Mellow Bakers continues with 'The Handmade Loaf' as our experiences will become an important resource in itself.

I've made a few of Dan's recipes from 'The Handmade Loaf' as I went on a day course with him in Herefordshire UK. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, learnt a lot and his influences / ideas still underpin my baking. My edition of 'The Handmade Loaf' is from 2004, I suspect that it's a first edition, there is nothing to suggest otherwise. At the end of the day Dan went through my book and without being asked kindly corrected the errors he was aware of at the time - not sure when that would be but must have been 2006 or 2007ish. Whether more have come to light SINCE then I don't know but it is perhaps a start for the group. I'm a bit busy at the moment but would be happy to let you know the details of those corrections to my edition if we're definitely going ahead with the book.

Looking forward to expanding my THL repertoire,

Ken

garlicbuddha

Postby garlicbuddha » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:41 am

I had a pleasant exchange with David Whitehouse at his wonderfully named blog "oh gosh and bother" http://ohgoshandbother.blogspot.co.uk where he discusses his views on copyright. I mentioned the mellow bakers THL challenge and he responded positively -

"I am greatly enouraged by collaborative events like the Mellow Bakers and Short & Tweet (both of which are baking their way through some of Dan Lepard's work), and we have in the past had bake-off challenges in our own forum. It's a great way to bring people together and share an enthusiasm - so many internet forums that I've used over the years, across a range of interests, have closed or are closing, and we need to find new ways to help and encourage each other."

:)

Return to “Forum News & Updates”