Ray's white loaf with millet flakes

garlicbuddha

Ray's white loaf with millet flakes

Postby garlicbuddha » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:54 am

Well I thoroughly enjoyed this first challenge. I have very little experience of making white bread with commercial yeast but was pleased with the result and it made excellent toast!

The millet flakes are worth finding as it contributes to a slightly sweet nutty flavour. I will definitely keep this in my repertoire.

No major issues came up in the baking process. I used Doves Farm dried yeast as I have found it reliable. I can get fresh yeast from the local supermarket and may try it again with that but I have not found any particular benefit from using fresh in the past. The dough mix was sticky but with the suggested resting, oiling the workspace and minimal folds it came together to make a smooth dough.

I also chose to bake one large loaf rather than two smaller ones because I like using a cane banneton for the proving stage. I had to reduce the proving times as the dough was rather lively!

Other than that I think I followed the recipe. I have a little trouble with the final shaping of the loaf (page 20 steps 7-9) I have seen some good videos on you tube - but I am not quite getting this final stage right. I think I need to see someone doing it in real life.

Its great to have started this challenge! Looking forward to the first sourdough recipe (still trying to track down the ingredients)
Last edited by garlicbuddha on Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old_Bake_House

Re: Ray's white loaf with millet flakes

Postby Old_Bake_House » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:55 am

Looks great! Two quick Q's - were you using fresh yeast (or dry? I'm playing with conversions these days) and what size banneton is that there?

- Susanne

garlicbuddha

Postby garlicbuddha » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:34 am

Hi Susanne,

I used dried yeast - a teaspoon's worth.

I used this banneton - http://bakerybits.co.uk/1kg-22lb-Oval-Cane-Banneton-P388399.aspx

Paul
Site Admin

Postby Paul » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:35 am

Very nice looking loaf, Ray. Good to hear you enjoyed the final product, too.

I've not heard of any particular avantage of fresh vs IDY (there are aspects that benefit a bakery but that's not us). Generally, IDY is a very good choice of yeast for the home baker for the simple fact it stores a very very long time vs fresh which has a 2 week refrigerated shelf life from original packaging.

Flavour wise, the end result is pretty much the same.

I'll post a longer description of the different yeast in another section of the forum.
Paul
When you think about it, all galaxies are far, far, away.

garlicbuddha

Postby garlicbuddha » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:08 am

Thanks Paul, that would be interesting.

The bread is great - just the sort of bread you would want to use if you were having a bacon sandwich - except I'm veggie so I had to come up with an alternative so tonight I had a sandwich consisting of griddled halloumi (for the saltiness), griddled asparagus (because it has just come into season in the UK and griddling it adds a hint of smokiness) and some cherry tomatoes and home made mayonnaise. Not a bad alternative! :)

GeraintBakesBread

Postby GeraintBakesBread » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:27 pm

Great looking loaf Ray.

Your crumb looks a lot softer than mine - what flour did you use?

Which Doves Farm yeast are you using - the Quick (i.e. instant) or the Original (i.e. active dried)? The latter is the same as fresh yeast, but dehydrated. The instant is likely a different strain, with an additive (sorbitan monostearate E491) to help with rehydration.

garlicbuddha

Postby garlicbuddha » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:38 am

Thanks Geraint,

I used Dove Farm's organic plain white flour and Marriage's organic strong white flour - http://www.marriagesmillers.co.uk/
The latter was delivered through our veg box scheme.

I have used both the Dove Farm yeasts in the past but tend to use the original one that needs activating in water first (or the equivalent one by Allinsons) if I am honest, its more to do with it coming in a nice resealable tin!

Paul has started a new thread on yeasts -
http://mellowbakers.com/loaf/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=44

Mal

Postby Mal » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:25 pm

"I also chose to bake one large loaf rather than two smaller ones because I like using a cane banneton for the proving stage. I had to reduce the proving times as the dough was rather lively! "

Ray

I found this too. Stopped second rise after 1hr instead of 90mins. Now wish I'd baked after 30 mins! Also experiencing severe banneton envy!

Mal

garlicbuddha

Postby garlicbuddha » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:55 am

Mal wrote: Also experiencing severe banneton envy!

well I think my wife got fed up of me traipsing into cookery shops in whatever city we were in and asking if they sold proving baskets... much to the bemusement of the staff.... she bought two for me for Christmas through the internet. A bit overpriced but should last many years - and no more dough sticking to a tea towel in a colander :)

Jacqueline

Postby Jacqueline » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:28 pm

Wow Ray, beautiful loaf! Looking forward to making this, but sadly still going the teatowel and colander route...

Return to “#1: Quick White Loaf”