River Cottage Handbook No.3 - Bread

There are lots of other bread books out there besides THL, give us your personal take on some of your faves.

River Cottage Handbook No.3 - Bread

Postby garlicbuddha » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:11 am

Although The Handmade Loaf was the first bread book I ever bought, it was this little handbook by Daniel Stevens that taught me some of the basics about making bread. It starts by giving you a good understanding of the processes involved in the various stages of making bread which is thorough enough without blinding you with science. Indeed the first basic bread recipes don't turn up until page 76! There's a good introduction to sourdough too and the method employed of preparing an overnight sponge is still my basic weekend method. The photography is lovely, educational as well as aesthetically pleasing. Definitely a book I would consider giving as a gift to someone interested in starting making their own bread. Any one else read this book?
garlicbuddha

Re: River Cottage Handbook No.3 - Bread

Postby throup » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:22 pm

This was the first bread book I bought, inspired by seeing Dan make sourdough on a River Cottage TV episode (it looked so simple yet so complex... just my thing!) and it got me hooked on bread baking.

I have created three sourdough starters following directions in this book and, every time, it just worked; I have consequently never understood the need for all the sourdough rituals like adding raisins, pineapple juice, bakers' yeast, dancing round the starter in the full moon, etc.

I have other books now, and generally refer to them instead when baking something new by recipe, but often refer back to the River Cottage book to compare similar recipes. It's still my standard for focaccia and scones!
My imaginatively self-titled blog: Chris Throup
throup

Postby Leavened_Heaven » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:03 am

This is going to find its way onto my baking-book shelf soon, or my name isn't Leavened_Heaven. Well, technically it's not, but... well, you know what I mean.
Leavened_Heaven

Postby garlicbuddha » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:28 pm

I think its a great book for a beginner but I suggest you check it out at your local bookshop first and compare it to others. "How to bake bread" by Emmanuel Hadjiandreou is currently my favourite book and it is beautifully photographed.
garlicbuddha

Return to Book Reviews